Re: [ANE-2] Aramaic inscriptions map?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
      Today I've made some progress in mapping software. There's a system out there called PAT (Portable ATlas) that looks as though it's very flexible, and, being Open Source, it's totally free.

      http://ian.macky.net/pat/index.html

      The problem is that it's a DOS program and can't run on modern computers, except with Linux, and the  creator, Ian Macky, who so far is very friendly and helpful, refuses to support the corporate giants Microsoft or Apple.

      But he asked me to let him know how it's getting along with Windows. I found something called DOSbox, which seems to have been made to run ancient games, and I thought I followed all the (none too clear) instructions, and I've gotten to the stage where there are no more error messages, but absolutely nothing happens!
      Jersey City

    • W. Sheppard Baird
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
        Dear Peter,

        You should consider using Google Earth for this. It's a free 3D GIS map
        with many excellent features and is extremely easy to use. It's Windows,
        Apple, and Linux compatible and fully supported by Google. I used this for
        the highly regarded 3D mapping of "The Archaeological Sites of the Aegean
        Minoans". The map data is in standard XML text format.

        http://www.minoanatlantis.com/Aegean_Minoan_Sites.php

        Google Earth Download Page
        http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

        Best,
        Sheppard Baird

      • R. Lehmann
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
          I think this is a worthy project for young but experienced Aramaists
          as for instance
          Giulia Francesca Grassi from Marburg University, Germany,
          or for Dirk Schwiderski, University of Heidelberg, Germany, who had
          made the two big and valuable volumes of
          "Die alt- und reichsaramäischen Inschriften / The Old and Imperial
          Aramaic Inscriptions", De Gruyter 2004/2008.
          Esp. Dirk might have all relevant material at hand.

          RGLehmann

          ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
          Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Academic Director
          Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
          FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
          Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
          D-55099 Mainz
          Germany
          lehmann@...
          http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/eng
          11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH) 2013:
          http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
            Well, I discovered why I'd never been able to install Google Earth before: I needed to right-click and "install as administrator." It then proceeded to install itself without at any point asking where I would like it to put itself, indicating how much disk space it required, etc. I don't like Google taking over my computer even more than it already does.

            After clicking on your map, it eventually opened; but I wonder whether this service can do what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be any provision for changing the projection, or the angle of  view; somewhere there must be a control for telling it the edges of the map, but I couldn't find such a thing. And I wonder whether it can do a simple outline map rather than the familiar color image (which is especially unhelpful for print publication).

            So thank you for introducing me to the resource -- but I don't think it will be helpful.
            Jersey City

          • W. Sheppard Baird
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
              Dear Peter,

              I find your evaluation of Google Earth more than just a bit hasty. I'm
              surely not a lover of all things Google but as someone that actually has
              some expertise in this area you should know that the Google Earth
              application is "NOT" installed on your computer as you assume. It's a
              server application that lives in the cloud on a farm of hundreds of servers
              worldwide. The only software loaded onto your computer is that which allows
              you to view and manipulate this huge cloud application. Google Earth is
              intended to provide quality 3D GIS accessibility and ease of use to as many
              people as possible worldwide and is not all things to all people nor does
              it provide every feature one may desire. But you can easily rotate and tilt
              the map in any way you wish with the top right circular controls. Give it a
              try.

              No, it does not allow you to change the projection or automatically
              generate outline maps, etc. These are features that can be found in
              professional GIS packages like ESRI ArcGIS which is the de facto GIS
              standard at many universities around the world. But Google Earth map data
              can easily be imported into ESRI ArcGIS maps anytime you wish making GE map
              data available for its many highly sophisticated features. The learning
              curve for professional GIS apps is typically huge taking weeks or months
              and thus very expensive. This is probably why the map you and your
              colleagues desire has not been attempted. But Google Earth can prove useful
              in a matter of minutes for any novice with a bit of patience.

              The collection of valid confirmed sites and the acquisition of accurate
              site coordinates is an ongoing process. Even now after several years of
              development a few newly discovered "non-sensitive" sites are added to the
              Aegean Minoan 3D GIS project every year and coordinates are sometimes
              adjusted for greater accuracy. The creation of this map was only possible
              with the kind voluntary assistance of many dozens of scholars, colleagues,
              students, etc. almost none of whom had any GIS expertise at all. But they
              could carry an inexpensive GPS receiver and record coordinates. The fewer
              trained GIS experts involved with your project the less expensive and more
              practical it will become.

              The fervor of our project volunteers was fueled by knowing that our entire
              map would be freely available to everyone and not just a few specialists. I
              completely agree with Charles in that it would be a monumental step
              forward, especially for the specialists however counter-intuitive it may
              seem, by sipping the sweet nectar of open access for all.

              Best,

              W. Sheppard Baird
              California State Polytechnic University - Pomona
              Sarasota, Florida
              minoanatlantis@...