Re: [ANE-2] Aramaic inscriptions map?

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
      Peter, this is a worthy project. Given your reputation, I would thing a
      grant would be a cakewalk. Maybe talk to George Athas.
      Jack Kilmon

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
        Today I've made some progress in mapping software. There's a system out there called PAT (Portable ATlas) that looks as though it's very flexible, and, being Open Source, it's totally free.

        http://ian.macky.net/pat/index.html

        The problem is that it's a DOS program and can't run on modern computers, except with Linux, and the  creator, Ian Macky, who so far is very friendly and helpful, refuses to support the corporate giants Microsoft or Apple.

        But he asked me to let him know how it's getting along with Windows. I found something called DOSbox, which seems to have been made to run ancient games, and I thought I followed all the (none too clear) instructions, and I've gotten to the stage where there are no more error messages, but absolutely nothing happens!
        Jersey City

      • W. Sheppard Baird
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
          Dear Peter,

          You should consider using Google Earth for this. It's a free 3D GIS map
          with many excellent features and is extremely easy to use. It's Windows,
          Apple, and Linux compatible and fully supported by Google. I used this for
          the highly regarded 3D mapping of "The Archaeological Sites of the Aegean
          Minoans". The map data is in standard XML text format.

          http://www.minoanatlantis.com/Aegean_Minoan_Sites.php

          Google Earth Download Page
          http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

          Best,
          Sheppard Baird

        • R. Lehmann
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
            I think this is a worthy project for young but experienced Aramaists
            as for instance
            Giulia Francesca Grassi from Marburg University, Germany,
            or for Dirk Schwiderski, University of Heidelberg, Germany, who had
            made the two big and valuable volumes of
            "Die alt- und reichsaramäischen Inschriften / The Old and Imperial
            Aramaic Inscriptions", De Gruyter 2004/2008.
            Esp. Dirk might have all relevant material at hand.

            RGLehmann

            ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
            Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Academic Director
            Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
            FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
            Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
            D-55099 Mainz
            Germany
            lehmann@...
            http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/eng
            11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH) 2013:
            http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
              Well, I discovered why I'd never been able to install Google Earth before: I needed to right-click and "install as administrator." It then proceeded to install itself without at any point asking where I would like it to put itself, indicating how much disk space it required, etc. I don't like Google taking over my computer even more than it already does.

              After clicking on your map, it eventually opened; but I wonder whether this service can do what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be any provision for changing the projection, or the angle of  view; somewhere there must be a control for telling it the edges of the map, but I couldn't find such a thing. And I wonder whether it can do a simple outline map rather than the familiar color image (which is especially unhelpful for print publication).

              So thank you for introducing me to the resource -- but I don't think it will be helpful.
              Jersey City

            • W. Sheppard Baird
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                Dear Peter,

                I find your evaluation of Google Earth more than just a bit hasty. I'm
                surely not a lover of all things Google but as someone that actually has
                some expertise in this area you should know that the Google Earth
                application is "NOT" installed on your computer as you assume. It's a
                server application that lives in the cloud on a farm of hundreds of servers
                worldwide. The only software loaded onto your computer is that which allows
                you to view and manipulate this huge cloud application. Google Earth is
                intended to provide quality 3D GIS accessibility and ease of use to as many
                people as possible worldwide and is not all things to all people nor does
                it provide every feature one may desire. But you can easily rotate and tilt
                the map in any way you wish with the top right circular controls. Give it a
                try.

                No, it does not allow you to change the projection or automatically
                generate outline maps, etc. These are features that can be found in
                professional GIS packages like ESRI ArcGIS which is the de facto GIS
                standard at many universities around the world. But Google Earth map data
                can easily be imported into ESRI ArcGIS maps anytime you wish making GE map
                data available for its many highly sophisticated features. The learning
                curve for professional GIS apps is typically huge taking weeks or months
                and thus very expensive. This is probably why the map you and your
                colleagues desire has not been attempted. But Google Earth can prove useful
                in a matter of minutes for any novice with a bit of patience.

                The collection of valid confirmed sites and the acquisition of accurate
                site coordinates is an ongoing process. Even now after several years of
                development a few newly discovered "non-sensitive" sites are added to the
                Aegean Minoan 3D GIS project every year and coordinates are sometimes
                adjusted for greater accuracy. The creation of this map was only possible
                with the kind voluntary assistance of many dozens of scholars, colleagues,
                students, etc. almost none of whom had any GIS expertise at all. But they
                could carry an inexpensive GPS receiver and record coordinates. The fewer
                trained GIS experts involved with your project the less expensive and more
                practical it will become.

                The fervor of our project volunteers was fueled by knowing that our entire
                map would be freely available to everyone and not just a few specialists. I
                completely agree with Charles in that it would be a monumental step
                forward, especially for the specialists however counter-intuitive it may
                seem, by sipping the sweet nectar of open access for all.

                Best,

                W. Sheppard Baird
                California State Polytechnic University - Pomona
                Sarasota, Florida
                minoanatlantis@...