RE: [ANE-2] Aramaic inscriptions map?

  • Charles E. Jones
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
      If we could convince the CAL (http://cal.huc.edu/) [among others] to drink the linked open data koolaid, and bring their data into the Pleiades (http://pleiades.stoa.org/) and Pelagios (http://pelagios-project.blogspot.com/) universes, it would be a huge step forward.

      -Chuck Jones-
      ISAW - NYU
      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
        Peter, this is a worthy project. Given your reputation, I would thing a
        grant would be a cakewalk. Maybe talk to George Athas.
        Jack Kilmon

        I'm afraid I might have to ... but that would entail paying a cartographer
        to create a publishable result!

        (I used to use a wonderful shareware program called VersaMap, but after
        about 20 years it ceased being supported by its creator, and one publisher
        told me its bitmap output was not suitable for publication. If anyone knows
        of inexpensive _versatile_ mapping software, I'd love to hear about it.)
        Jersey City

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
          Today I've made some progress in mapping software. There's a system out there called PAT (Portable ATlas) that looks as though it's very flexible, and, being Open Source, it's totally free.

          http://ian.macky.net/pat/index.html

          The problem is that it's a DOS program and can't run on modern computers, except with Linux, and the  creator, Ian Macky, who so far is very friendly and helpful, refuses to support the corporate giants Microsoft or Apple.

          But he asked me to let him know how it's getting along with Windows. I found something called DOSbox, which seems to have been made to run ancient games, and I thought I followed all the (none too clear) instructions, and I've gotten to the stage where there are no more error messages, but absolutely nothing happens!
          Jersey City

        • W. Sheppard Baird
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
            Dear Peter,

            You should consider using Google Earth for this. It's a free 3D GIS map
            with many excellent features and is extremely easy to use. It's Windows,
            Apple, and Linux compatible and fully supported by Google. I used this for
            the highly regarded 3D mapping of "The Archaeological Sites of the Aegean
            Minoans". The map data is in standard XML text format.

            http://www.minoanatlantis.com/Aegean_Minoan_Sites.php

            Google Earth Download Page
            http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

            Best,
            Sheppard Baird

          • R. Lehmann
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
              I think this is a worthy project for young but experienced Aramaists
              as for instance
              Giulia Francesca Grassi from Marburg University, Germany,
              or for Dirk Schwiderski, University of Heidelberg, Germany, who had
              made the two big and valuable volumes of
              "Die alt- und reichsaramäischen Inschriften / The Old and Imperial
              Aramaic Inscriptions", De Gruyter 2004/2008.
              Esp. Dirk might have all relevant material at hand.

              RGLehmann

              ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
              Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Academic Director
              Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
              FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
              Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
              D-55099 Mainz
              Germany
              lehmann@...
              http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/eng
              11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH) 2013:
              http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                Well, I discovered why I'd never been able to install Google Earth before: I needed to right-click and "install as administrator." It then proceeded to install itself without at any point asking where I would like it to put itself, indicating how much disk space it required, etc. I don't like Google taking over my computer even more than it already does.

                After clicking on your map, it eventually opened; but I wonder whether this service can do what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be any provision for changing the projection, or the angle of  view; somewhere there must be a control for telling it the edges of the map, but I couldn't find such a thing. And I wonder whether it can do a simple outline map rather than the familiar color image (which is especially unhelpful for print publication).

                So thank you for introducing me to the resource -- but I don't think it will be helpful.
                Jersey City

              • W. Sheppard Baird
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                  Dear Peter,

                  I find your evaluation of Google Earth more than just a bit hasty. I'm
                  surely not a lover of all things Google but as someone that actually has
                  some expertise in this area you should know that the Google Earth
                  application is "NOT" installed on your computer as you assume. It's a
                  server application that lives in the cloud on a farm of hundreds of servers
                  worldwide. The only software loaded onto your computer is that which allows
                  you to view and manipulate this huge cloud application. Google Earth is
                  intended to provide quality 3D GIS accessibility and ease of use to as many
                  people as possible worldwide and is not all things to all people nor does
                  it provide every feature one may desire. But you can easily rotate and tilt
                  the map in any way you wish with the top right circular controls. Give it a
                  try.

                  No, it does not allow you to change the projection or automatically
                  generate outline maps, etc. These are features that can be found in
                  professional GIS packages like ESRI ArcGIS which is the de facto GIS
                  standard at many universities around the world. But Google Earth map data
                  can easily be imported into ESRI ArcGIS maps anytime you wish making GE map
                  data available for its many highly sophisticated features. The learning
                  curve for professional GIS apps is typically huge taking weeks or months
                  and thus very expensive. This is probably why the map you and your
                  colleagues desire has not been attempted. But Google Earth can prove useful
                  in a matter of minutes for any novice with a bit of patience.

                  The collection of valid confirmed sites and the acquisition of accurate
                  site coordinates is an ongoing process. Even now after several years of
                  development a few newly discovered "non-sensitive" sites are added to the
                  Aegean Minoan 3D GIS project every year and coordinates are sometimes
                  adjusted for greater accuracy. The creation of this map was only possible
                  with the kind voluntary assistance of many dozens of scholars, colleagues,
                  students, etc. almost none of whom had any GIS expertise at all. But they
                  could carry an inexpensive GPS receiver and record coordinates. The fewer
                  trained GIS experts involved with your project the less expensive and more
                  practical it will become.

                  The fervor of our project volunteers was fueled by knowing that our entire
                  map would be freely available to everyone and not just a few specialists. I
                  completely agree with Charles in that it would be a monumental step
                  forward, especially for the specialists however counter-intuitive it may
                  seem, by sipping the sweet nectar of open access for all.

                  Best,

                  W. Sheppard Baird
                  California State Polytechnic University - Pomona
                  Sarasota, Florida
                  minoanatlantis@...