Aramaic inscriptions map?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
      Is it really possible that no one has made a map of the locations of Aramaic inscriptions since Gibson TSSI 2 in 1975??

      Google Images doesn't find a single one! (It shows me Aramaic inscriptions, and it shows me maps -- of both the Aramaic languages and the Achaemenid empire -- but no maps of inscriptions.)
      Jersey City

    • Lisbeth Fried
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
        Get to work!

        --
        Peter T. Daniels grammatim@... <mailto:grammatim%40verizon.net>
        Jersey City

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
          I'm afraid I might have to ... but that would entail paying a cartographer to create a publishable result!

          (I used to use a wonderful shareware program called VersaMap, but after about 20 years it ceased being supported by its creator, and one publisher told me its bitmap output was not suitable for publication. If anyone knows of inexpensive _versatile_ mapping software, I'd love to hear about it.)
          Jersey City

          >________________________________

        • Charles E. Jones
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
            If we could convince the CAL (http://cal.huc.edu/) [among others] to drink the linked open data koolaid, and bring their data into the Pleiades (http://pleiades.stoa.org/) and Pelagios (http://pelagios-project.blogspot.com/) universes, it would be a huge step forward.

            -Chuck Jones-
            ISAW - NYU
            ________________________________
            I'm afraid I might have to ... but that would entail paying a cartographer to create a publishable result!

            (I used to use a wonderful shareware program called VersaMap, but after about 20 years it ceased being supported by its creator, and one publisher told me its bitmap output was not suitable for publication. If anyone knows of inexpensive _versatile_ mapping software, I'd love to hear about it.)
            --
            Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...<mailto:grammatim%40verizon.net>
            Jersey City

            >________________________________

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 18, 2013
              Peter, this is a worthy project. Given your reputation, I would thing a
              grant would be a cakewalk. Maybe talk to George Athas.
              Jack Kilmon

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
                Today I've made some progress in mapping software. There's a system out there called PAT (Portable ATlas) that looks as though it's very flexible, and, being Open Source, it's totally free.

                http://ian.macky.net/pat/index.html

                The problem is that it's a DOS program and can't run on modern computers, except with Linux, and the  creator, Ian Macky, who so far is very friendly and helpful, refuses to support the corporate giants Microsoft or Apple.

                But he asked me to let him know how it's getting along with Windows. I found something called DOSbox, which seems to have been made to run ancient games, and I thought I followed all the (none too clear) instructions, and I've gotten to the stage where there are no more error messages, but absolutely nothing happens!
                Jersey City

              • W. Sheppard Baird
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
                  Dear Peter,

                  You should consider using Google Earth for this. It's a free 3D GIS map
                  with many excellent features and is extremely easy to use. It's Windows,
                  Apple, and Linux compatible and fully supported by Google. I used this for
                  the highly regarded 3D mapping of "The Archaeological Sites of the Aegean
                  Minoans". The map data is in standard XML text format.

                  http://www.minoanatlantis.com/Aegean_Minoan_Sites.php

                  Google Earth Download Page
                  http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

                  Best,
                  Sheppard Baird

                • R. Lehmann
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                    I think this is a worthy project for young but experienced Aramaists
                    as for instance
                    Giulia Francesca Grassi from Marburg University, Germany,
                    or for Dirk Schwiderski, University of Heidelberg, Germany, who had
                    made the two big and valuable volumes of
                    "Die alt- und reichsaramäischen Inschriften / The Old and Imperial
                    Aramaic Inscriptions", De Gruyter 2004/2008.
                    Esp. Dirk might have all relevant material at hand.

                    RGLehmann

                    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
                    Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Academic Director
                    Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
                    FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
                    Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
                    D-55099 Mainz
                    Germany
                    lehmann@...
                    http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/eng
                    11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH) 2013:
                    http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                      Well, I discovered why I'd never been able to install Google Earth before: I needed to right-click and "install as administrator." It then proceeded to install itself without at any point asking where I would like it to put itself, indicating how much disk space it required, etc. I don't like Google taking over my computer even more than it already does.

                      After clicking on your map, it eventually opened; but I wonder whether this service can do what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be any provision for changing the projection, or the angle of  view; somewhere there must be a control for telling it the edges of the map, but I couldn't find such a thing. And I wonder whether it can do a simple outline map rather than the familiar color image (which is especially unhelpful for print publication).

                      So thank you for introducing me to the resource -- but I don't think it will be helpful.
                      Jersey City

                    • W. Sheppard Baird
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
                        Dear Peter,

                        I find your evaluation of Google Earth more than just a bit hasty. I'm
                        surely not a lover of all things Google but as someone that actually has
                        some expertise in this area you should know that the Google Earth
                        application is "NOT" installed on your computer as you assume. It's a
                        server application that lives in the cloud on a farm of hundreds of servers
                        worldwide. The only software loaded onto your computer is that which allows
                        you to view and manipulate this huge cloud application. Google Earth is
                        intended to provide quality 3D GIS accessibility and ease of use to as many
                        people as possible worldwide and is not all things to all people nor does
                        it provide every feature one may desire. But you can easily rotate and tilt
                        the map in any way you wish with the top right circular controls. Give it a
                        try.

                        No, it does not allow you to change the projection or automatically
                        generate outline maps, etc. These are features that can be found in
                        professional GIS packages like ESRI ArcGIS which is the de facto GIS
                        standard at many universities around the world. But Google Earth map data
                        can easily be imported into ESRI ArcGIS maps anytime you wish making GE map
                        data available for its many highly sophisticated features. The learning
                        curve for professional GIS apps is typically huge taking weeks or months
                        and thus very expensive. This is probably why the map you and your
                        colleagues desire has not been attempted. But Google Earth can prove useful
                        in a matter of minutes for any novice with a bit of patience.

                        The collection of valid confirmed sites and the acquisition of accurate
                        site coordinates is an ongoing process. Even now after several years of
                        development a few newly discovered "non-sensitive" sites are added to the
                        Aegean Minoan 3D GIS project every year and coordinates are sometimes
                        adjusted for greater accuracy. The creation of this map was only possible
                        with the kind voluntary assistance of many dozens of scholars, colleagues,
                        students, etc. almost none of whom had any GIS expertise at all. But they
                        could carry an inexpensive GPS receiver and record coordinates. The fewer
                        trained GIS experts involved with your project the less expensive and more
                        practical it will become.

                        The fervor of our project volunteers was fueled by knowing that our entire
                        map would be freely available to everyone and not just a few specialists. I
                        completely agree with Charles in that it would be a monumental step
                        forward, especially for the specialists however counter-intuitive it may
                        seem, by sipping the sweet nectar of open access for all.

                        Best,

                        W. Sheppard Baird
                        California State Polytechnic University - Pomona
                        Sarasota, Florida
                        minoanatlantis@...