Re: [ANE-2] Sad News: Martin Bernal

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2013
      And cousin of the conductor John Eliot Gardner.
      Jersey City

      >________________________________

    • gregdoudna
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19, 2013
        I am very sad to hear of the death of my M.A. advisor at Cornell, Martin Bernal.
        He was a courageous and good man, who sought to give voice to some
        overwritten in history.

        Few graduate students are privileged to have as their advisor someone
        directly likened to the devil himself in a serious review in the pages of
        the New York Review of Books. This happened a few weeks after Bernal became
        my advisor. Bernal's "Black Athena" work argued that modern scholarly views
        of the "Greek miracle", the virgin birth theory of classical Greek civilization
        from which Western civilization derives, came out of 19th century racism and
        was distorted. Bernal sought to revive an older model, which he argued
        classical Greeks themselves held, in which Mycenean Greek civilization had
        antecedents from the Near East and Egypt, and that later classical Greeks
        were in some continuity from Mycenean Greeks, and not the de novo virgin
        birth cultural miracle severed from near eastern and African input that
        served 19th century framing of Western self-understanding.
        In the review in the New York Review of Books, the
        classicist reviewer quoted the passage in Milton's "Paradise Lost" in which
        Lucifer (= Bernal) ascends to assault the throne of God (= received truths).
        A cartoonist's drawing or caricature of Bernal accompanying the review
        had pointed Spock ears on Bernal, to assist in the analogy.

        Some ANE'ers may be interested in an autobiography Bernal published
        in 2012, Geography of a Life. Witty and fascinating and filled with
        insights, here Bernal gives the back story to his work with Black
        Athena as well as his earlier life, his grandfather Sir Alan Gardiner,
        his education in China, comments on the sociology of scholarship,
        and so on. In my opinion this is the most interesting book
        that Bernal produced.

        Bernal played a pivotal role for me at Cornell. I admired
        his courage and civility in public life and experienced his compassion
        and decency in private life.

        Gregory Doudna
        Bellingham, Washington