Sad News: Martin Bernal

  • Charles E. Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2013
      Via Agade the following links

      The Ithaca Journal carried this obituary and sad news at
      <http://tinyurl.com/n7eazf9>:
      [A wiki page about him, with links, is at
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bernal>]
      [Go there for access to guest book]

      Some long term members of ANE-2 and the old ANE will remember that he was a member of that list and an occasional contributor. Not mentioned in the obituary is the fact that he was the grandson of Sir Alan Gardiner

      -Chuck Jones-
      New York

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2013
        And cousin of the conductor John Eliot Gardner.
        Jersey City

        >________________________________

      • gregdoudna
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19, 2013
          I am very sad to hear of the death of my M.A. advisor at Cornell, Martin Bernal.
          He was a courageous and good man, who sought to give voice to some
          overwritten in history.

          Few graduate students are privileged to have as their advisor someone
          directly likened to the devil himself in a serious review in the pages of
          the New York Review of Books. This happened a few weeks after Bernal became
          my advisor. Bernal's "Black Athena" work argued that modern scholarly views
          of the "Greek miracle", the virgin birth theory of classical Greek civilization
          from which Western civilization derives, came out of 19th century racism and
          was distorted. Bernal sought to revive an older model, which he argued
          classical Greeks themselves held, in which Mycenean Greek civilization had
          antecedents from the Near East and Egypt, and that later classical Greeks
          were in some continuity from Mycenean Greeks, and not the de novo virgin
          birth cultural miracle severed from near eastern and African input that
          served 19th century framing of Western self-understanding.
          In the review in the New York Review of Books, the
          classicist reviewer quoted the passage in Milton's "Paradise Lost" in which
          Lucifer (= Bernal) ascends to assault the throne of God (= received truths).
          A cartoonist's drawing or caricature of Bernal accompanying the review
          had pointed Spock ears on Bernal, to assist in the analogy.

          Some ANE'ers may be interested in an autobiography Bernal published
          in 2012, Geography of a Life. Witty and fascinating and filled with
          insights, here Bernal gives the back story to his work with Black
          Athena as well as his earlier life, his grandfather Sir Alan Gardiner,
          his education in China, comments on the sociology of scholarship,
          and so on. In my opinion this is the most interesting book
          that Bernal produced.

          Bernal played a pivotal role for me at Cornell. I admired
          his courage and civility in public life and experienced his compassion
          and decency in private life.

          Gregory Doudna
          Bellingham, Washington