Oriental Institute New Exhibit: Our Work: Modern Jobs - Ancient Origins

  • fdscalf
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2013
      Our Work: Modern Jobs - Ancient Origins
      August 20, 2013 through February 23, 2014
      Members' Preview Monday, August 19

      Our Work: Modern Jobs – Ancient Origins, an exhibition of photographic portraits, explores how cultural achievements of the ancient Middle East have created or contributed to much of modern life. To show the connections between the past and today, artifacts that document the origins or development of professions such as baker, farmer, manicurist, brewer, writer, astronomer, or judge in the ancient world are paired with a person who is the modern "face" of that profession. The resulting photographic portraits represent the diversity of Chicago residents, ranging from ordinary workers to local luminaries. The portraits will be accompanied by commentary on the specific contribution of the past and remarks from the modern representative, resulting in fascinating new insights into how members of the public view their relationship to the past.

      The photographer for the project is Jason Reblando, whose work is in the permanent collections of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Milwaukee Art Museum, the Union League Club of Chicago, and the National Center for Civil and Human Rights in Atlanta. To visually connect the present with the past, Reblando is producing tintype portraits using a 19th century photographic process. Reblando is working with Chicago arts journalist Matthew Cunningham who is documenting the sessions with interviews of the subjects. The interviews will form a multi-media component to the Our Work exhibition. Five interviews will be developed into vignettes highlighting the connection of the artifacts with life today.
      A catalog accompanies the show.

      https://oi.uchicago.edu/museum/special/ourwork/
      (Go to website for photos)

      (Posted by Foy Scalf, scalffd@..., Oriental Institute)