RE: [ANE-2] Re: FW: Constantine and Ardashir (slightly OT)

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2013
      Dear Mr. Faussette,

      "The Achaemenid emperors lapsed into idolatry. This is a fact. Zoroaster created his religion in opposition to idolaters."

      Alas, this may be a fact in your mind, but there is no tangible, contemporaneous evidence of the dates of Zoroaster's life nor that he post-dated any Achaemenid ruler. If anything he may have pre-dated them substantially.

      To argue that the Achaemenid rulers "lapsed in idolatry" you would need to show definitively that there was an identifiable tradition of what - monotheism? Aniconic or anti-iconic worship? Achaemenid royal inscriptions mention a number of "gods' or divine beings. To argue that this represents a lapse, you have to come up with inscriptions that substantiate an earlier, different belief system. Without that documentation, this is just a pointless argument about beliefs, which is not the function of this list.

      Trudy S. Kawami