Re: Constantine and Ardashir (slightly OT)

  • richfaussette
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2013
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, George Athas <george.athas@...> wrote:

      > Rich,
      >
      > Constantine certainly contributed to the formation of a monotheistic state in a significant way, but it was not a reality in his day. While he himself became a patron of Christianity, the Roman Empire was still legally multitheistic (I think I just invented a new term). When Theodosius decreed Christianity the sole religion of the Empire, it was not simply rubber stamping the situation that had come about by his time. He still had to do some key things to shut 'paganism' down. But over the course of the fourth century, Christianity came to dominate the empire, and Constantine played a significant role in that.
      >

      > GEORGE ATHAS
      > Dean of Research,
      > Moore Theological College (moore.edu.au)
      > Sydney, Australia

      Dear George,

      I agree. In the context of Jeffrey's query regarding Ardashir who centralized the Magian priesthood and the Zoroastrian text, I thought it important to note that Constantine did the same things and that previous Persian emperors had also centralized Judaism in Jerusalem and authorized a single legitimate text.

      Constantine engaged with the Christian leaders, financed the building of their churches, made the churches diocese in the civil administration and prevented theological dissension regarding the nature of Christianity's monotheistic God from splitting them into a conglameration like the 70 sects of Zoroastrianism Ardashir had decided to reform into one cohesive operation.

      Theodosius does not participate in this establishment activity. He brings what Constantine had begun to its logical, almost inescapable conclusion given the groundwork laid by Constantine.

      Regards,
      Rich Faussette
      NYC
    • Clark Whelton
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2013
        Who was the last Roman emperor buried in Rome?

        Clark Whelton
        New York

      • MarcC
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
          This is really beyond the scope of ANE-2, but I'll bite. I think that it may have been Valentinian III. A usurper had him murdered while in Rome, and then the usurper suffered the same fate a few weeks later.

          Marc Cooper
          Missouri State

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Clark Whelton" <cwhelton@...> wrote:

          > Who was the last Roman emperor buried in Rome?
          >

          > Clark Whelton
          > New York

        • Yigal Levin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2013
            Valentinian III was murdered in 455. My guess would be Anicius Olybrius, who
            reigned for a few months in 472 and then died of a disease in Rome itself.
            His successors all seem to have been exiled from Rome, and were presumably
            buried where they died. See http://www.roman-emperors.org/olybrius.htm.

            Best,

            Yigal Levin

            Bar-Ilan University

            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com> , "Clark
            Whelton" <cwhelton@...> wrote:

            > Who was the last Roman emperor buried in Rome?
            >

            > Clark Whelton
            > New York

          • Mark Watson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2013
              This book (which I don't have):

              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Imperial-Mausoleum-Late-Antiquity/dp/0521513715

              � has the following appendix, which may provide a more definitive answer.

              �Ubi sepulti sunt�: The Burial Places of Roman Emperors and Members of Their Families from Caracalla (217) to Anastasius (518)"

              In the absence of that:

              Valentinian III is traditionally associated with the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia in Ravenna, though the tombs there seem to be of later provenance. Olybrius seems a decent bet as, apart from dying in Rome, his daughter went on to found churches there. Honorius (d. 423) and Theodosius II (d. 450) were, according to Prosper of Aquitaine, buried in the mausoleum of Santa Petronilla, near St. Peters.

              --
              Mark Watson
              London, UK