early framing; an explanation?

  • eliot braun
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2013
      I'm sure Ayn Rand would love this article on the purported reason for the development of early agriculture.:

      http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/13/183710778/why-humans-took-up-farming-they-like-to-own-stuff

      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
      Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

    • MarcC
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2013
        I am sticking with the beer explanation. It makes for better lectures.

        Marc Cooper
        Missouri State University

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, eliot braun <eliotbraun@...> wrote:

        > I'm sure Ayn Rand would love this article on the purported reason for the development of early agriculture.:
        >
        > http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/13/183710778/why-humans-took-up-farming-they-like-to-own-stuff
        >

        > Eliot Braun, Ph D
        > Sr. Fellow WF Albright Institute of Archaeological Research, Jerusalem
        > Associate Researcher Centre de Recherche Français de Jérusalem
        > PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
        > Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

      • Joe Zias
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2013
          I too have issues with his explanation. If one looks at Natufian sites in the north here in Israel today one sees  people living in settled communities sans farming, thousands of yrs before and they were acquiring things. Same with Indians living on the western coast of Canada, both cultures simply learned how to exploit the natural resources around them and lived with surpluses, particularly those in Canada, no need to farm when one can hunt and gather to its fullest extent.

          Joe Zias www.joezias.org

          Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide

          Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
          Jerusalem, Israel

          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2013
            ISTR claims that h&g is more efficient than farming? (It takes a lot less work.) And definitely more environment-friendly?

            Jersey City