Re: On decipherment of Linear B

  • Charles J
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2013
      See: http://www.brown.edu/Research/Breaking_Ground/bios/Kober_Alice.pdf
      and
      http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2012/08/alice-e-kober-papers-online.html

      -Chuck Jones-
      NYC - USA

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Fabrice Nardelli <jnardellis36@...> wrote:

      > Kober is not only well-known (as much, at any rate, as such a discreet
      > scholar who published little can get famous; see the Biographical
      > Dictionary of North American Classicists [Westport-London, 1994], pp.
      > 331-332) qua one of the main forerunners of Ventris; her role has been
      > acknowledged in most works of reference, from J. Chadwick, The
      > Decipherment of Linear B (Cambridge, 1958), pp. 35-36, to M. Pope in Y.
      > Duhoux and A. Morpurgo-Davies (edd.), A Companion to Linear B. Mycenaean
      > Greek Text and their World (Leuven, 2008), pp. 3-4. Mrs Fox is just
      > spinning a tale to send copies.
      >
      > J.-F. Nardelli
      > Université de Provence

    • eliot braun
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2013
        I apologize and stand corrected. I'm an ignoramus concerning Linear B and I tend to believe what I read in the NY Times.

        Eliot Braun, Ph D
        PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
        Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

        Message 3 of 7 , May 12, 2013
          Ms. Fox is an employee of the NY Times ...

          She sent an announcement of the book to the newsgroup sci.lang (to which she has never before contributed), but her announcement doesn't say anything about giving special attention to Kober.

          Andrew Robinson's bio of Ventris is basically unreadable and I can't say whether he paid due attention to her work. (If Ventris, who is always identified as an architect, built any buildings, I couldn't find mention of them in the index or the photos. His subsequent bio of Thomas Young, who felt himself in competition with Champollion in deciphering Egyptian, is rather better, perhaps because Young was a polymath ("The last man who knew everything") so there was much more to tell than the hieroglyphic story.)
          Jersey City