On decipherment of Linear B

  • eliot braun
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11 9:34 PM
      Readers may be interested to read about this unsung scholar who worked on this project.

      The link:   http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/sunday-review/alice-e-kober-43-lost-to-history-no-more.html?hp

      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
      Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

      Message 2 of 7 , May 12 5:21 AM
        Unsung? Michael Ventris built on her work, but she died before the decipherment was accomplished.

        Jersey City

        >________________________________

      • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
        Message 3 of 7 , May 12 6:28 AM
          Kober is not only well-known (as much, at any rate, as such a discreet
          scholar who published little can get famous; see the Biographical
          Dictionary of North American Classicists [Westport-London, 1994], pp.
          331-332) qua one of the main forerunners of Ventris; her role has been
          acknowledged in most works of reference, from J. Chadwick, The
          Decipherment of Linear B (Cambridge, 1958), pp. 35-36, to M. Pope in Y.
          Duhoux and A. Morpurgo-Davies (edd.), A Companion to Linear B. Mycenaean
          Greek Text and their World (Leuven, 2008), pp. 3-4. Mrs Fox is just
          spinning a tale to send copies.

          J.-F. Nardelli
          Université de Provence
        • Robert M Whiting
          Message 4 of 7 , May 12 6:29 AM
            On Sun, 12 May 2013, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

            > Unsung? Michael Ventris built on her work, but she died before the
            > decipherment was accomplished.

            Indeed. Anyone who has ever looked even superficially at the history of
            the decipherment of Linear B will realize that her work in laying the
            groundwork for the decipherment is fully acknowledged.

            Bob Whiting
            whiting@...

            > >________________________________

          • Charles J
            Message 5 of 7 , May 12 6:36 AM
              See: http://www.brown.edu/Research/Breaking_Ground/bios/Kober_Alice.pdf
              and
              http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2012/08/alice-e-kober-papers-online.html

              -Chuck Jones-
              NYC - USA

              --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Fabrice Nardelli <jnardellis36@...> wrote:

              > Kober is not only well-known (as much, at any rate, as such a discreet
              > scholar who published little can get famous; see the Biographical
              > Dictionary of North American Classicists [Westport-London, 1994], pp.
              > 331-332) qua one of the main forerunners of Ventris; her role has been
              > acknowledged in most works of reference, from J. Chadwick, The
              > Decipherment of Linear B (Cambridge, 1958), pp. 35-36, to M. Pope in Y.
              > Duhoux and A. Morpurgo-Davies (edd.), A Companion to Linear B. Mycenaean
              > Greek Text and their World (Leuven, 2008), pp. 3-4. Mrs Fox is just
              > spinning a tale to send copies.
              >
              > J.-F. Nardelli
              > Université de Provence

            • eliot braun
              Message 6 of 7 , May 12 10:59 AM
                I apologize and stand corrected. I'm an ignoramus concerning Linear B and I tend to believe what I read in the NY Times.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 12 12:06 PM
                  Ms. Fox is an employee of the NY Times ...

                  She sent an announcement of the book to the newsgroup sci.lang (to which she has never before contributed), but her announcement doesn't say anything about giving special attention to Kober.

                  Andrew Robinson's bio of Ventris is basically unreadable and I can't say whether he paid due attention to her work. (If Ventris, who is always identified as an architect, built any buildings, I couldn't find mention of them in the index or the photos. His subsequent bio of Thomas Young, who felt himself in competition with Champollion in deciphering Egyptian, is rather better, perhaps because Young was a polymath ("The last man who knew everything") so there was much more to tell than the hieroglyphic story.)
                  Jersey City