RE: [ANE-2] Food and Ethnicity in Israel

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2013
      Hi Stephanie,

      The recent issue of Archeaological Review from Cambridge (issue 28.1, April 2013), includes a paper by Mary C. Beaudry titled "Mixing Food, Mixing Cultures: Archaeological Perspectives". I have not yet seen the issue or read the article, and I doubt that it's specifically about Israel, but it might be a good source for updated theoretical material.

      Yigal Levin

      Bar-Ilan University

      Message 2 of 7 , May 11, 2013
        Nathan MacDonald-
        "What did the Ancient Israelites Eat" and "Not Bread alone: the Uses of
        Food in the Old Testament", c. 2008-
        Covers well biblical and archaeological aspects, and does not rush into
        identifiying markers of ethnicity under every green tree.
        The hard question is, what is ethnicity and can archaeology "fish" out
        ethnicity from bones - or any other material object :( That is a different
        (vast) bibliography.
        Best regards,
        Raz Kletter
        Univerity of Helsinki
        2013/5/10 sbudin <sbudin@...>

        > **
        >

        > Greetings, All,
        >
        > Could anyone on the list recommend some up-to-date bibliography on
        > the subject of food and ethnicity in ancient Israel, LBA through early
        > Second Temple periods? I am interested both in the Biblical perspective
        > as well as the archaeological.
        >
        > Many thanks in advance,
        > Stephanie Budin
        > Rutgers University, Camden

      • eliot braun
        Message 3 of 7 , May 12, 2013
          There is an interesting chapter in Aphek Antipatris II on wine production in the LB period. M. Kislev and his students have written on many aspects of food from the botanical point of view. Try checking out library sources for specific references. Easy to access is the Israel Antiquities library which can be a port to other libraries in Israel. Liora Kolska Horwitz has many papers and chapters in excavation reports. A search of her bibliography should turn up lots of refs. Good luck.

          Eliot Braun, Ph D
          PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
          Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

          ________________________________
          2013/5/10 sbudin <sbudin@...>

          > **
          >

          > Greetings, All,
          >
          > Could anyone on the list recommend some up-to-date bibliography on
          > the subject of food and ethnicity in ancient Israel, LBA through early
          > Second Temple periods? I am interested both in the Biblical perspective
          > as well as the archaeological.
          >
          > Many thanks in advance,
          > Stephanie Budin
          > Rutgers University, Camden

        • sbudin
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2013
            VERY many thanks to everyone who replied to my query. I was quite
            successful today at the library, and the bibliography suggested here
            seems to be exactly what I need. Surprisingly, though, my research
            library (U. of Penn.) stopped getting "Archaeological Review" back in
            2002.

            Many thanks yet again!
            Stephanie Budin