Re: [ANE-2] Food and Ethnicity in Israel

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11 1:48 AM
      Start with the anthropologists and then move on, Marvin Harris is a good beginning on the questions of pork avoidance. While archaeologists have eventually realized that 'archaeology is anthropology or it is nothing' the question of animal bones in excavations once was much like a shopping list, they ate this and that, whereas the real questions should be what part of this or that was eaten. When one sees ribs, neck bones, feet of large mammals it means that hunters are scavenging as these are left overs from kills, when the band or group themselves make the kill, they bring back the shoulder and the rump and leave the rest behind.

      Joe Zias www.joezias.org

      Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide

      Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11 11:41 AM
        Hi Stephanie,

        The recent issue of Archeaological Review from Cambridge (issue 28.1, April 2013), includes a paper by Mary C. Beaudry titled "Mixing Food, Mixing Cultures: Archaeological Perspectives". I have not yet seen the issue or read the article, and I doubt that it's specifically about Israel, but it might be a good source for updated theoretical material.

        Yigal Levin

        Bar-Ilan University

        Message 3 of 7 , May 11 10:41 PM
          Nathan MacDonald-
          "What did the Ancient Israelites Eat" and "Not Bread alone: the Uses of
          Food in the Old Testament", c. 2008-
          Covers well biblical and archaeological aspects, and does not rush into
          identifiying markers of ethnicity under every green tree.
          The hard question is, what is ethnicity and can archaeology "fish" out
          ethnicity from bones - or any other material object :( That is a different
          (vast) bibliography.
          Best regards,
          Raz Kletter
          Univerity of Helsinki
          2013/5/10 sbudin <sbudin@...>

          > **
          >

          > Greetings, All,
          >
          > Could anyone on the list recommend some up-to-date bibliography on
          > the subject of food and ethnicity in ancient Israel, LBA through early
          > Second Temple periods? I am interested both in the Biblical perspective
          > as well as the archaeological.
          >
          > Many thanks in advance,
          > Stephanie Budin
          > Rutgers University, Camden

        • eliot braun
          Message 4 of 7 , May 12 10:56 AM
            There is an interesting chapter in Aphek Antipatris II on wine production in the LB period. M. Kislev and his students have written on many aspects of food from the botanical point of view. Try checking out library sources for specific references. Easy to access is the Israel Antiquities library which can be a port to other libraries in Israel. Liora Kolska Horwitz has many papers and chapters in excavation reports. A search of her bibliography should turn up lots of refs. Good luck.

            Eliot Braun, Ph D
            PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
            Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

            ________________________________
            2013/5/10 sbudin <sbudin@...>

            > **
            >

            > Greetings, All,
            >
            > Could anyone on the list recommend some up-to-date bibliography on
            > the subject of food and ethnicity in ancient Israel, LBA through early
            > Second Temple periods? I am interested both in the Biblical perspective
            > as well as the archaeological.
            >
            > Many thanks in advance,
            > Stephanie Budin
            > Rutgers University, Camden

          • sbudin
            Message 5 of 7 , May 13 10:52 AM
              VERY many thanks to everyone who replied to my query. I was quite
              successful today at the library, and the bibliography suggested here
              seems to be exactly what I need. Surprisingly, though, my research
              library (U. of Penn.) stopped getting "Archaeological Review" back in
              2002.

              Many thanks yet again!
              Stephanie Budin