Food and Ethnicity in Israel

  • sbudin
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2013
      Greetings, All,

      Could anyone on the list recommend some up-to-date bibliography on
      the subject of food and ethnicity in ancient Israel, LBA through early
      Second Temple periods? I am interested both in the Biblical perspective
      as well as the archaeological.

      Many thanks in advance,
      Stephanie Budin
      Rutgers University, Camden
    • Simeon Chavel
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2013
        A place to start is: Avi Faust, Israel's Ethnogenesis
        Simeon Chavel
        Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
        The University of Chicago Divinity School
        http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/chavel.shtml

        On May 10, 2013, at 3:02 PM, sbudin <sbudin@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, All,
        >
        > Could anyone on the list recommend some up-to-date bibliography on
        > the subject of food and ethnicity in ancient Israel, LBA through early
        > Second Temple periods? I am interested both in the Biblical perspective
        > as well as the archaeological.
        >
        > Many thanks in advance,
        > Stephanie Budin
        > Rutgers University, Camden

      • Joe Zias
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11, 2013
          Start with the anthropologists and then move on, Marvin Harris is a good beginning on the questions of pork avoidance. While archaeologists have eventually realized that 'archaeology is anthropology or it is nothing' the question of animal bones in excavations once was much like a shopping list, they ate this and that, whereas the real questions should be what part of this or that was eaten. When one sees ribs, neck bones, feet of large mammals it means that hunters are scavenging as these are left overs from kills, when the band or group themselves make the kill, they bring back the shoulder and the rump and leave the rest behind.

          Joe Zias www.joezias.org

          Anthropology/Paleopathology/Guide

          Science and Antiquity - Jerusalem
          Jerusalem, Israel

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2013
            Hi Stephanie,

            The recent issue of Archeaological Review from Cambridge (issue 28.1, April 2013), includes a paper by Mary C. Beaudry titled "Mixing Food, Mixing Cultures: Archaeological Perspectives". I have not yet seen the issue or read the article, and I doubt that it's specifically about Israel, but it might be a good source for updated theoretical material.

            Yigal Levin

            Bar-Ilan University

            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2013
              Nathan MacDonald-
              "What did the Ancient Israelites Eat" and "Not Bread alone: the Uses of
              Food in the Old Testament", c. 2008-
              Covers well biblical and archaeological aspects, and does not rush into
              identifiying markers of ethnicity under every green tree.
              The hard question is, what is ethnicity and can archaeology "fish" out
              ethnicity from bones - or any other material object :( That is a different
              (vast) bibliography.
              Best regards,
              Raz Kletter
              Univerity of Helsinki
              2013/5/10 sbudin <sbudin@...>

              > **
              >

              > Greetings, All,
              >
              > Could anyone on the list recommend some up-to-date bibliography on
              > the subject of food and ethnicity in ancient Israel, LBA through early
              > Second Temple periods? I am interested both in the Biblical perspective
              > as well as the archaeological.
              >
              > Many thanks in advance,
              > Stephanie Budin
              > Rutgers University, Camden

            • eliot braun
              Message 6 of 7 , May 12, 2013
                There is an interesting chapter in Aphek Antipatris II on wine production in the LB period. M. Kislev and his students have written on many aspects of food from the botanical point of view. Try checking out library sources for specific references. Easy to access is the Israel Antiquities library which can be a port to other libraries in Israel. Liora Kolska Horwitz has many papers and chapters in excavation reports. A search of her bibliography should turn up lots of refs. Good luck.

                Eliot Braun, Ph D
                PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
                Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096

                ________________________________
                2013/5/10 sbudin <sbudin@...>

                > **
                >

                > Greetings, All,
                >
                > Could anyone on the list recommend some up-to-date bibliography on
                > the subject of food and ethnicity in ancient Israel, LBA through early
                > Second Temple periods? I am interested both in the Biblical perspective
                > as well as the archaeological.
                >
                > Many thanks in advance,
                > Stephanie Budin
                > Rutgers University, Camden

              • sbudin
                Message 7 of 7 , May 13, 2013
                  VERY many thanks to everyone who replied to my query. I was quite
                  successful today at the library, and the bibliography suggested here
                  seems to be exactly what I need. Surprisingly, though, my research
                  library (U. of Penn.) stopped getting "Archaeological Review" back in
                  2002.

                  Many thanks yet again!
                  Stephanie Budin