Re: [ANE-2] Cushitic loanwords in Semitic languages?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2013
      I know of three recent sketches of Cushitic in relation to Semitic, two by David Appleyard (SOAS), in the Weninger volume from De Gruyter Mouton (in the Handbooks of Linguistics and Communication series, 2011) and in the Edzard volume from Harrassowitz (in the Porta Linguarum Orientalium, 2012) and one by Gene Gragg in Burkhart Kienast's Historische Semitische Sprachwissenschaft (2001). None of them so much as mentions shared vocabulary, either inherited or borrowed. Gragg, though, has been working on a Cushitic Etymological Dictionary for decades and may be able to provide some information. (I don't know what's in the new Cambridge Green volume on Afroasiatic by Frajzyngier; Gragg & Hoberman did the Semitic chapter there, and Maarten Mous the Cushitic chapter.)

      But probably you need to consult lexicographers of Arabic. (The late?) Garland Cannon produced a series of dictionaries of loanwords in Arabic, but he hasn't gotten (didn't get?) around to Cushitic.
      Jersey City

    • Michael F. Lane
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2013
        Dear Peter,

        These citations are very useful. I'll look into Gragg's work, and I'll
        definitely check out Cannon, as I have a working knowledge of Arabic.

        With thanks also to other who replied,