[biblical-studies] the death of geza vermes

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2013
      With Thanks to Jim West:

      from theological musings-

      Dear Colleague

      I am deeply saddened to inform you that our dear friend, Professor
      Geza Vermes, passed away this morning after a recent recurrence of
      cancer. Margaret, Geza's wife, just called with the sad news and
      asked that I let you know.

      Geza was Professor Emeritus of Jewish Studies at Oxford, a Governor
      and strong advocate of the Centre, and was recently appointed an
      Honorary Fellow of the Centre. His scholarship on the Dead Sea
      Scrolls and the Jewishness of Jesus was truly pioneering and
      transformative. Geza was also a lovely human being and a friend and
      mentor to many of us. He will be deeply missed.

      There are no funeral plans as yet but we will notify you if and when
      it is appropriate.

      May Margaret be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem
      and may Geza's memory be for a blessing.

      David
      _____________
      David Ariel, PhD
      President
      Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies
      Yarnton Manor
      Yarnton, Oxford
      OX5 1PY
      United Kingdom

      That is quite sad. He was a giant. May he rest in peace.

      --
      +++++++
      Jim West, ThD