Re: [ANE-2] sailing along the Levant

  • R. Lehmann
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2013
      I remember that 10 years ago I had a book in my hands that deals esp. with this questions, at least in one chapter or essay. I guess it came out in the late 90ies and was maybe written in French. There were also maps, and calculation of ocean current, winds, etc of the eastern Mediterranean.
      Alas, I don't remember any more the title nor the author / editor.

      Moreover, maybe there are more hints in:

      Sherratt, Susan & Andrew. 1993. The Growth of the Mediterranean Economy in the Early
      First Millennium BC. World Archaeology 24(3): 361-378.

      Sherratt, Sus an. 1998. 'Sea Peoples' and the economic structure of the late second millennium
      in the eastern Mediterranean. In S. Gitin, A. Mazar, E. Stem (eds.), Mediterranean
      Peoples in Transition. Thirteenth to Early Tenth Centuries BCE, pp. 292-313. Jerusalem,
      Israel Exploration SOciety.

      Schipper, Bernd U. 2005. Die Erzahlung des Wenamun. Ein Literaturwerk im Spannungsfold
      von Politik, Geschichte und Religion. Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis 209. Fribourg,
      Gottingen.

      Monroe, Christopher Mountfort. 2009. Scales of Fate. Trade, Tradition and Traniformation
      in the Eastern Mediterranenan ca. 1350-1175 BeE (AOAT 357). Munster: Ugarit-Verlag.

      Artzy, Michal. 1997. Nomads of the Sea. In Stuart Swiny, Robert L. Hohlfelder, Helena
      Wylde Swiny (eds.), Res Maritimae. Cyprus and the Eastern Mediterranean from Prehistory
      to Late Antiquity. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium "Cities on the
      Sea)􀆳 Nicosia, Cyprus, October 18-22, 7994, pp. 1-16. Atlanta, Georgia: Scholars Press.

      Artzy, Michal. 1998. Routes, Trade, Boats and "Nomads of the Sea". In S. Gitin, A Mazar, E. Stern
      (eds.), Mediterranean Peoples in Transition. Thirteenth to Early Tenth Centuries BCE, pp.
      439-448. Jersualem, Israel Exploration Society.

      I hope this helps.

      ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
      Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Academic Director
      Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
      FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
      Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
      D-55099 Mainz
      Germany
      lehmann@...
      http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/eng
      11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH) 2013:
      http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php