sailing along the Levant

  • frankclancy
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8 1:13 AM
      I understand there were sailing seasons when travelling from Egypt to Byblos area and return. What were those seasons? Secondly, is there any idea about how much time it would take under optimum conditions to travel from Dor to the mouth of the Nile? Any information or informed guesses would be appreciated.

      Frank Clancy
      Kitchener, Ontario
    • R. Lehmann
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8 10:05 AM
        I remember that 10 years ago I had a book in my hands that deals esp. with this questions, at least in one chapter or essay. I guess it came out in the late 90ies and was maybe written in French. There were also maps, and calculation of ocean current, winds, etc of the eastern Mediterranean.
        Alas, I don't remember any more the title nor the author / editor.

        Moreover, maybe there are more hints in:

        Sherratt, Susan & Andrew. 1993. The Growth of the Mediterranean Economy in the Early
        First Millennium BC. World Archaeology 24(3): 361-378.

        Sherratt, Sus an. 1998. 'Sea Peoples' and the economic structure of the late second millennium
        in the eastern Mediterranean. In S. Gitin, A. Mazar, E. Stem (eds.), Mediterranean
        Peoples in Transition. Thirteenth to Early Tenth Centuries BCE, pp. 292-313. Jerusalem,
        Israel Exploration SOciety.

        Schipper, Bernd U. 2005. Die Erzahlung des Wenamun. Ein Literaturwerk im Spannungsfold
        von Politik, Geschichte und Religion. Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis 209. Fribourg,
        Gottingen.

        Monroe, Christopher Mountfort. 2009. Scales of Fate. Trade, Tradition and Traniformation
        in the Eastern Mediterranenan ca. 1350-1175 BeE (AOAT 357). Munster: Ugarit-Verlag.

        Artzy, Michal. 1997. Nomads of the Sea. In Stuart Swiny, Robert L. Hohlfelder, Helena
        Wylde Swiny (eds.), Res Maritimae. Cyprus and the Eastern Mediterranean from Prehistory
        to Late Antiquity. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium "Cities on the
        Sea)􀆳 Nicosia, Cyprus, October 18-22, 7994, pp. 1-16. Atlanta, Georgia: Scholars Press.

        Artzy, Michal. 1998. Routes, Trade, Boats and "Nomads of the Sea". In S. Gitin, A Mazar, E. Stern
        (eds.), Mediterranean Peoples in Transition. Thirteenth to Early Tenth Centuries BCE, pp.
        439-448. Jersualem, Israel Exploration Society.

        I hope this helps.

        ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
        Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Academic Director
        Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
        FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
        Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
        D-55099 Mainz
        Germany
        lehmann@...
        http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/eng
        11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH) 2013:
        http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php