Re: First mention of Mesopotamia

  • Jon Smyth
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2013
      This is what I remember discovering, that Mesopotamia only means the same as the Akkadian Naharaim (Egyptian Naharyn), both mean essentially "River Country".

      The western border of Naharaim was the Orontes (Nii was in Naharyn and was located on the banks of the Orontes). The eastern border is debatable as Naharaim appears to be used by the Assyrians up to the region of Lake Van.

      The more modern application for the term Mesopotamia, between the Euphrates & the Tigris, is a rather narrow interpretation.

      Jon Smyth
      Kitchener, ON