SV: [ANE-2] the date of the Pentateuch: Subartu

    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2006
      My fellow moderator, Bob Whiting, has pointed out that my suggestion
      about Subartu as a substitute name for Assyria in Neo-Babylonian
      literature is wrong; and so it is. Please forget it.

      I know I have it from somewhere, but cannot simply remember where, only
      that it was not something I invented.

      Niels Peter Lemche
    • Robert Whiting
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2006
        On Thu, 4 May 2006, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

        > My fellow moderator, Bob Whiting, has pointed out that my suggestion
        > about Subartu as a substitute name for Assyria in Neo-Babylonian
        > literature is wrong; and so it is. Please forget it.

        To clarify: It is not that the use of Subartu for Assyria by Babylonians
        is incorrect. The Babylonians often referred to Assyria as Subartu. But
        this usage does not reflect any attempt to "extinguish the memory of
        Assur" by the Babylonians. That is what is incorrect. Babylonians just
        referred to the north country as Subartu regardless of what political
        entity occupied it.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...