Re: First mention of Mesopotamia

  • Jon Smyth
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
      In the Anabasis?, that is interesting.
      Several years ago I had cause to research into the first use of Mesopotamia. And I agree it was first used in the time of Alexander, but the source I uncovered suggested the "land between the two rivers", in its initial Greek? concept, referred to the land between the Orontes and the Euphrates.

      I've wondered if anyone on the list might be familiar with this.

      Jon Smyth
      Kitchener, ON.
    • Jon Smyth
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2013
        This is what I remember discovering, that Mesopotamia only means the same as the Akkadian Naharaim (Egyptian Naharyn), both mean essentially "River Country".

        The western border of Naharaim was the Orontes (Nii was in Naharyn and was located on the banks of the Orontes). The eastern border is debatable as Naharaim appears to be used by the Assyrians up to the region of Lake Van.

        The more modern application for the term Mesopotamia, between the Euphrates & the Tigris, is a rather narrow interpretation.

        Jon Smyth
        Kitchener, ON