Symposium: CATASTROPHE! TEN YEARS LATER

  • fdscalf
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 2:09 PM
      Approaching the tenth anniversary of the looting of the Iraq National Museum on April 10, 2003, the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago announces its display of an updated selection of panels from its 2008 exhibit "Catastrophe! The Looting and Destruction of Iraq's Past." There will also be a seminar held in conjunction with the exhibit on Tuesday April 16 at the Oriental Institute (details below).

      http://oi.uchicago.edu/museum/special/catastrophetenyearslater/

      CATASTROPHE! TEN YEARS LATER: THE LOOTING AND DESTRUCTION OF IRAQ'S PAST
      From April 10, 2013

      The destruction of Iraq's cultural heritage during, and following, the second Iraq War has been staggering, and we are all deeply saddened by the human suffering of the Iraqi people. The losses include the 2003 looting of the Iraq National Museum in Baghdad and the large-scale looting of archaeological sites throughout Iraq. In the ancient past, Iraq was the birthplace of cities and writing. Iraq continued to be a center of world civilization as the homeland of the Sumerian, Assyrian, and Babylonian empires, and the capital of the early Islamic Abbasid empire.

      This revised exhibit presents an updated selection of the panels from the original show first displayed at the Oriental Institute in 2008. Versions of the show have been shown in Europe and Asia, and it has been translated into Arabic and Japanese. This smaller version of the show is on exhibit in the Lower Level of the Oriental Institute adjacent to our Kipper Family Archaeology Discovery Center. This exhibit, presented on the tenth anniversary of the looting of the museum, serves as a reminder that Iraq's cultural heritage is still under threat.

      The Oriental Institute publication of the 2008 exhibit, Catastrophe! The Looting and Destruction of Iraq's Past, edited by Geoff Emberling and Katharyn Hanson, is still available for purchase and is free to download as a pdf. online.

      SEMINAR IN CONJUNCTION WITH EXHIBIT

      Catastrophe! Ten Years Later: Looting, Destruction, and Preservation of Cultural Heritage in Iraq and the Wider Middle East.

      Tuesday April 16, 2013
      2:00 - 4:00 PM

      Breasted Hall, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago

      In conjunction with the re-exhibiting of panels from the Oriental Institute's 2008 exhibit Catastrophe! The Looting and Destruction of Iraq's Past, this seminar reflects on the state of cultural heritage protection in Iraq and more generally in the wider region, at the tenth anniversary of the looting of the Iraq National Museum, Baghdad in April, 2003. The international community still mourns this theft of priceless cultural heritage, but what has happened since that time? Have lessons been learned? Is history repeating itself elsewhere in the Middle East? What can be done to stem this type of destruction?

      Topics will include:

      The Iraq Museum, Then and Now
      Cultural Heritage in Iraq
      Tracking Destruction in Iraq and Syria
      The National Museum of Afghanistan
      Antiquities and Heritage Law

      Participants include:

      Patty Gerstenblith, Professor, College of Law, DePaul University and Director of DePaul's Program on Cultural Heritage Law

      McGuire Gibson, Exhibit Co-Curator, Professor of Mesopotamian Archaeology, University of Chicago

      Jack Green, Chief Curator, Oriental Institute Museum, University of Chicago

      Abdulamir Hamdani, Former Director of Antiquities in Nasiriya Province in southern Iraq, and currently at SUNY Stonybrook University

      Katharyn Hanson, Exhibit Co-Curator, Oriental Institute Museum, University of Chicago

      Morag Kersel, Professor of Anthropology, DePaul University, and Research Associate, Oriental Institute, University of Chicago

      Lawrence Rothfield, Professor of English and Comparative Literature, University of Chicago

      Gil J. Stein, Director of the Oriental Institute, Professor of Near Eastern Archaeology, University of Chicago

      This event is free and open to the public. No RSVP necessary. The event is coordinated and co-chaired by Katharyn Hanson and Jack Green.

      (Posted by Foy Scalf, scalffd@..., Oriental Institute)
    • fdscalf
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11 9:23 AM
        http://news.uchicago.edu/article/2013/04/11/oriental-institute-exhibit-seminar-examine-2003-looting-iraqi-antiquities

        Oriental Institute exhibit, seminar to examine 2003 looting of Iraqi antiquities
        By William Harms
        April 11, 2013

        The Oriental Institute will mark the 10th anniversary of the looting of artifacts from the Iraq National Museum in Baghdad with a special exhibit and a seminar on Tuesday, April 16.

        Experts from around the country will speak at the seminar, "Catastrophe! Ten Years Later: Looting Destruction, and Preservation of Cultural Heritage in Iraq and the Wider Middle East," which will be from 2 to 4 p.m. in Breasted Hall. No registration is required for the event, which is free and open to the campus community. Topics for the seminar are "The Iraq Museum, Then and Now," "Cultural Heritage in Iraq," "Tracking Destruction in Iraq and Syria," "The National Museum of Afghanistan," and "Antiquities and Heritage Law."

        "The looting 10 years ago of the National Museum in Baghdad, followed by the extensive pillaging of the world's earliest cities in southern Sumer, together sounded an alarm to all of us about the fragility of cultural heritage, and the need for concerned citizens everywhere to take action for its protection," said Gil Stein, director of the Oriental Institute.

        "The international community still mourns the loss of life in Iraq and the theft of priceless cultural heritage," said Jack Green, chief curator of the Oriental Institute Museum, who organized the seminar with Kathryn Hanson, co-curator of the exhibition.

        Iraq was the birthplace of cities and writing and continued to be a center for world civilizations as the homeland of the Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian empires, and the capital of the early Abbasid empire. It has been an area extensively excavated by archaeologists, including teams from the University of Chicago.

        Many artifacts from past excavations in Iraq, including the monumental Assyrian Lamassu (winged bull) from Khorsabad in northern Iraq, can be seen on display in the Oriental Institute Museum. These objects, and their discovery locations, highlight the importance of ancient Iraq as part of global heritage.

        The exhibition, "Catastrophe! Ten Years Later: The Looting and Destruction of Iraq's Past," will features photos and panels from a special exhibit in 2008 that marked the fifth anniversary of the destruction as well as updated material. It is on exhibit in the hallway on the lower level of the museum.

        Looting has continued in Iraq, but legislation in the United States and Great Britain barring importing the objects has slowed the process, said McGuire Gibson, professor at the Oriental Institute, one of academics to speak out against the destruction and looting in 2003. Gibson will be one of the speakers at the seminar.

        "The situation in Iraq is now hopeful," he said. "The Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities is concerned about looting at the sites, and there are now more guards on the sites than there were before the war.

        "Additionally, sites are being opened up for exploration. Iraqi archaeologists in the past 10 years have located and documented 1,200 new sites on land that was previously covered with marshes. Exploring those sites will help determine how far into Iraq the Gulf may have extended before the area took its current form," Gibson added.

        Foreign excavating teams have been allowed to work again in Iraq, and digs are under way in both the north and south, including near the important site of Ur.

        Despite the progress, looted artifacts are still for sale in countries abroad. The Iraq National Museum in Baghdad, which was heavily damaged during the first days of the war, is only opened sporadically for special events. But a lot of work has been done to restore the museum, Gibson said.