Re: Article request

  • Douglas Petrovich
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 27 9:10 AM
      Dear Emanuel,

      Mucho gusto. Como esta usted? I found the article for you, and I will send it to you offline. Others need not do the same.

      Yours,

      Doug Petrovich
      Toronto

    • Brian Colless
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 27 5:16 PM
        > J.A. Thompson, "The Near Eastern Suzerain-Vassal Concept in the
        > Religion of Israel", Journal of Religious History, vol. 3, issue 1,
        > pp. 1-19, June 1964

        May I put in a tender reminiscence: John Arthur Thompson (1913-2002)
        was my teacher of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Akkadian in Sydney and Melbourne.

        In 1960-63 he was not available to me except by mail; he was doing his
        doctorate (aged 50) at Cambridge University on:

        The vocabulary of covenant in the Old Testament

        I did read it, and it inspired me to do a similar thesis (MA,
        Melbourne, 1965): Yahweh Hammoreh: A Study of the Divine Educator
        Figure in the Religion of Israel.

        Divine Education. Numen 17, 2 (1970) 118-142

        My interest in roles assigned to gods and kings led to this:

        Ancient Afro-Asian Kingship Roles
        Patterns of Kingship and Authority in Traditional Asia, 131-157
        Edited by Ian Mabbett. Croom Helm, London, 1985

        Of course, it was George Mendenhall who started it by connecting the
        covenants of Yahweh the Divine King with the ANE suzerain-vassal
        treaties.
        Some scholars seem to think this is old-fashioned, but I can still see
        the relevance of it.

        And Mendenhall really did "decipher" the logo-syllabic tablets from
        Gubla/Byblos, and I have applied his results to inscriptions from all
        over the Mediterranean region, and beyond (Norway, Jamaica).

        http://cryptcracker.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/phoenician-bronze-cup-in-jamaica-below.html

        Brian Colless
        Research Associate
        School of Humanities