Article request

  • Emanuel Pfoh
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hi to all,

      does anybody have access to this article?

      J.A. Thompson, "The Near Eastern Suzerain-Vassal Concept in the Religion of Israel", Journal of Religious History, vol. 3, issue 1, pp. 1-19, June 1964.

      If so, please contact me offline.

      Thank you.

      Best,

      Emanuel Pfoh
      National University of La Plata
      Argentina

    • Douglas Petrovich
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 27, 2013
        Dear Emanuel,

        Mucho gusto. Como esta usted? I found the article for you, and I will send it to you offline. Others need not do the same.

        Yours,

        Doug Petrovich
        Toronto

      • Brian Colless
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 27, 2013
          > J.A. Thompson, "The Near Eastern Suzerain-Vassal Concept in the
          > Religion of Israel", Journal of Religious History, vol. 3, issue 1,
          > pp. 1-19, June 1964

          May I put in a tender reminiscence: John Arthur Thompson (1913-2002)
          was my teacher of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Akkadian in Sydney and Melbourne.

          In 1960-63 he was not available to me except by mail; he was doing his
          doctorate (aged 50) at Cambridge University on:

          The vocabulary of covenant in the Old Testament

          I did read it, and it inspired me to do a similar thesis (MA,
          Melbourne, 1965): Yahweh Hammoreh: A Study of the Divine Educator
          Figure in the Religion of Israel.

          Divine Education. Numen 17, 2 (1970) 118-142

          My interest in roles assigned to gods and kings led to this:

          Ancient Afro-Asian Kingship Roles
          Patterns of Kingship and Authority in Traditional Asia, 131-157
          Edited by Ian Mabbett. Croom Helm, London, 1985

          Of course, it was George Mendenhall who started it by connecting the
          covenants of Yahweh the Divine King with the ANE suzerain-vassal
          treaties.
          Some scholars seem to think this is old-fashioned, but I can still see
          the relevance of it.

          And Mendenhall really did "decipher" the logo-syllabic tablets from
          Gubla/Byblos, and I have applied his results to inscriptions from all
          over the Mediterranean region, and beyond (Norway, Jamaica).

          http://cryptcracker.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/phoenician-bronze-cup-in-jamaica-below.html

          Brian Colless
          Research Associate
          School of Humanities