Santorini

  • catalhoyukbalter
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2006
      My understanding from the reporting I did on this story for Science is
      that all sides of the Thera debate now agree that the Greenland core
      date of 1645 BC corresponds to a different volanic eruption and not
      Thera. The radiocarbon dates for Thera have consistently hovered
      around the late 17th century BC, however, and the new papers in
      Science provide additional support for that kind of date. Those who
      support the earlier ("high") chronology are happy to see absolute
      direct dating confirm their position, without the need to rely on
      proxy dates such as that of the Greenland ice core.