Iron Age cult places in Southern Levant

  • gilspr
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
      I'm updating my research on Iron Age cult places in Southern Levant.
      I wonder if someone could tell me if the following cult places have been published:
      - Tell es-Safi/Gath 8th cent. temple and 9th cent. BC cultic corner,
      - Beth-Shemesh 11th cent. BC sacred complex,
      - Kirbat Ataruz Iron Age temple,
      - Nahal Patish 11th cent. BC sanctuary.
      Thank you all in advance.

      Gilberta Spreafico
      University Sapienza of Rome
    • Raz Kletter
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
        For Nahal Patish see an extensive preliminary:
        Nahshoni and Ziffer, *Ugarit Forschungen* 41, 2009: 543-580.
        For Tel SAfi: Maier et al 2012. *Tell es Safi/Gat* I. Harrassowitz, has the
        stratigraphy and architecture (not all the finds and up to season 2005).
        Best of luck,
        Raz Kletter
        University of Helsinki
        2013/3/4 gilspr <gilspr@...>

        > **
        >

        > I'm updating my research on Iron Age cult places in Southern Levant.
        > I wonder if someone could tell me if the following cult places have been
        > published:
        > - Tell es-Safi/Gath 8th cent. temple and 9th cent. BC cultic corner,
        > - Beth-Shemesh 11th cent. BC sacred complex,
        > - Kirbat Ataruz Iron Age temple,
        > - Nahal Patish 11th cent. BC sanctuary.
        > Thank you all in advance.
        >
        > Gilberta Spreafico
        > University Sapienza of Rome

      • Sam WOLFF
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
          Aren Maeir, listmember, can respond re Tell es-Safi.

          Re Nahal Patish, see Ugarit Forschungen 41 (2009) 543-567; Hadashot Arkheologiyot/Excavations and Surveys in Israel electronic version, vols. 121 and 122. The latter are available via the Israel Antiquities Authority website.

          All interested parties should know that information like the above is easily available to all via the Israel Antiquities Authority website (www.antiquities.org.il). If one searches 'Nahal Patish', for example, one finds not only the titles mentioned above but also links to the HA/ESI entries. From the home page of the website, go into library, search, and, under IAA subject, enter the name of any site (or any subject). It covers sites and subjects not only from Israel but from surrounding countries as well. One can also search by author or title. It is a fantastic research tool!

          Hope this helps,

          Sam Wolff
          Jerusalem

          Gilberta Spreafico asks:

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
            I neglected to mention in my previous post that references to H. Atarus/Ataruz can also be found in the IAA library.

            It will certainly be helpful for you to consult Jens Kamlah (ed.), Temple Building and Temple Cult: Architecture and Cultic Paraphenalia of Temples in the Levant (2.-1. Mill. B.C.E.) (ADPV 41), 2012.

            Sam Wolff
            Jerusalem

          • Zwickel, Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
              A complete bibliography up to 2012 can be found in
              D. Elkowicz, Tempel und Kultplätze der Philister und der Völker des Ostjordanlandes. Eine Untersuchung zur Bau- und zur Kultgeschichte während der Eisenzeit I-II, AOAT 378, Ugarit-Verlag: Münster 2012

              Wolfgang Zwickel

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
                Thank you all very much for the useful information.