RE: [ANE-2] Re: Pehel/Pella

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 3, 2013
      Hi Frank!

      I'll keep the subject line in mind!

      As far as Pella/Pehel, the Arabic name Fahil reflects "Pehel", if anything.
      As far as Seti I, I don't see a problem there. The "action" was in the area
      of Beth-shean and Rehob. Pehel/Fahil is almost directly east, across the
      Jordan, which is not much of an obstacle. The fact that one of Seti's units
      went on to Yeno'am, which we've agreed is east of the Jordan, means that
      Seti had no problems with sending his troops to that area.

      Identifying Fahil with Ramoth Gilead makes no sense at all. Fahil is in the
      Jordan Valley, not in the hights ("Ramoth") nor properly in the Gilead,
      assuming that this refers to the mountains.

      Yigal

      Dr. Yigal Levin

      The Israel and Golda Koschitzky

      Department of Jewish History

      Bar-Ilan University

      Ramat Gan. 52900

      ISRAEL

      <mailto:Yigal.Levin@...> Yigal.Levin@...

      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 4, 2013
        Dear Yigal - I knew about Albright but I did not know about Rainey. Honestly, I do not find the Tell el-Hammah identification credible. The inscription indicates Hammath was the leader of the revolt which involved other cities - all of them larger and more important. It is Hammath that threatens the Egyptian garrison of Beth-Shean while it is Pehel who beseiges Tell Rehov. Also, if Hammath revolted against Rehob, then I would expect Rehob to attack Hammath - not the other way around. Also, if it were an inter-city squabble, why attack the Egyptian garrison? That is a revolt against Seti! Seti sent 3 arms of his troops to the cities which suggests more than a few soldiers to deal with these cities. Were it about a squabble between cities, then when Seti arrived at Beth-Shean I would expect these cities to appeal to him and there would be no need for troops to go to these cities.

        You may be correct about Hammath but I find it difficult to believe that story.

        Frank Clancy
        Kitchener, Ontario