sleep of soul: Syriac

  • thiskevinhsu
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      List-

      F. Gavin writes thus:

      "IN SYRIAC CHRISTIANITY, from the fourth century on, there appears with more or less consistency and in much the same out- line a curious teaching as to the state of the dead. As the earliest example of the sort that is available in Syriac authors is Aphraates, the 'Persian sage,' I shall quote him first. 'The Spirit is absent from all born of the body until they come to the regeneration of baptism. For they are endowed with the soulish spirit (from) the first birth,-which (spirit) is created in man, and is immortal, as it is written, "Man became a living soul"
      (Gen. 2. 7, cf. I Cor. 15. 45). But in the second birth-that is, of Baptism-they receive the Holy Spirit, a particle of the Godhead, and it is immortal. When men die the soulish spirit is buried with the body and the power of sensation is taken from it. The Heavenly Spirit which they have received goes back to its own nature, to the presence of Christ. " (THE SLEEP OF THE SOUL IN THE EARLY SYRIAC CHURCH F. GAVIN ST. THOMAS AQUINAS HOUSE,, NASHOTAH,WISCONSIN)

      Is this concept of the Syriacs influenced by eastern religions?

      Best,
      -Kevin Hsu,
      Independent Researcher, China