Re: [ANE-2] "his seed is not"

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 25, 2013
      On 2/25/2013 10:30 AM, Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >
      > The Mernepthah stele says about Israel that "his seed is not."
      >
      > I always thought it referred to Israel's progeny, that there won't be future
      > generations.
      >
      > Now I read that it refers to grain silos!

      Where did you read this?

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 4 11:07 PM
        Dear Yigal - I knew about Albright but I did not know about Rainey. Honestly, I do not find the Tell el-Hammah identification credible. The inscription indicates Hammath was the leader of the revolt which involved other cities - all of them larger and more important. It is Hammath that threatens the Egyptian garrison of Beth-Shean while it is Pehel who beseiges Tell Rehov. Also, if Hammath revolted against Rehob, then I would expect Rehob to attack Hammath - not the other way around. Also, if it were an inter-city squabble, why attack the Egyptian garrison? That is a revolt against Seti! Seti sent 3 arms of his troops to the cities which suggests more than a few soldiers to deal with these cities. Were it about a squabble between cities, then when Seti arrived at Beth-Shean I would expect these cities to appeal to him and there would be no need for troops to go to these cities.

        You may be correct about Hammath but I find it difficult to believe that story.

        Frank Clancy
        Kitchener, Ontario