Re: [ANE-2] translations of Gilgamesh

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
      There are two Penguin Gilgameshes: N. K. Sandars's prose retelling, and Andrew George's rendition of the full text. The latter is of course the one to use.

      Maureen Gallery's straightforward translation is also a good one.

      >________________________________

    • Jgibson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
        On 2/16/2013 1:55 PM, Stewart Felker wrote:
        > The Penguin edition isn't Dalley's translation, is it?

        No - at least the Penguin that I have is N.K. Sandars version.
        > The same one that
        > appears in her Myths from Mesopotamia? That would probably be a good one
        > for classroom use (if the class isn't a specialty class, obviously).

        Does it contain the "whole" text or just excerpts from it?

        Jeffrey

        --
        ---
        Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
          On 2/16/2013 10:22 PM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
          > There are two Penguin Gilgameshes: N. K. Sandars's prose retelling, and Andrew George's rendition of the full text. The latter is of course the one to use.
          >
          > Maureen Gallery's straightforward translation is also a good one.

          Thanks, Peter. I have the Sandars text. I'll look for the others you
          mention.

          Jeffrey

          --
          ---