The Golb affair, once again

  • Joe Zias
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
      Golb was abusing me as well from time , I always thought it was simply someone from the BAR Crowd  and let it slide, but I now see that I was wrong,  (Shanks and the BAR Crowd, I apologize :-)  as there were many aliases he was using,  here's one rant from Golb, alias Steve Frankel, Paul Kessler, Steve Blau, Gadda about my work on the Qumran cemetery, He wrote :

      "Speaking of ANE-2, my latest response to Joe Zias' attack on
      researchers who have rejected his "bedouin" claim was blocked on the
      grounds that it is "polemical."  Why was Mr. Zias, who holds
      only an M.A. from Wayne State, allowed to smear all sorts
      of reputable scholars and have the last word on this issue? Here
      is the response, with some of Joe's more polemical statements in bold:..." blah, blah

      Joe -(only a M.A,  smearing colleagues and polemical? in a way sounds like the BAR Crowd, I take back the apology.

      Joe Zias www.joezias.com
      Anthropology/Paleopathology

      Science and Antiquity Group - Jerusalem
      Jerusalem, Israel

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
        I wonder if Raphael Golb got the idea of writing under assumed names, as a sockpuppet, from Ian Hutchesson, who also wrote in support of all the Qumran scrolls coming from Jerusalem and having no Essene connection. He evidently used assumed names on the old ane list and the old orion list. From the latter archives (online) he wrote as John J. Hays [not John H. Hayes of Emory U.] in 1998 and Ann L. Kraemer [not Ross S. Kraemer] in 1999 and as Ann Elk in 1999.

        Stephen Goranson
        www.duke.edu/~goranson
        ________________________________

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ANE-2%40yahoogroups.com>, "Charles E. Jones" wrote:

        > Raphael Golb, who participated in the ANE-2 list some time ago under the assumed names "Paul Kessler", "Steve Frankel", and "Steve Blau", and to the harvested ANE-2 mailing list as "Andrew Rosenberg", was found guilty today in the Criminal Division of the New York Supreme Court of multiple felony and misdemeanor counts of identity theft, criminal impersonation, forgery, aggravated harassment, and the unauthorized use of a computer.
        >
        > Those who wish to may read about this in the news media or in Robert Cargill's collection of documents relating to the case:
        > http://www.bobcargill.com/who-is-charles-gadda.html

        > -Chuck Jones-
        > ISAW - NYU

      • Jgibson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
          On 2/16/2013 12:08 PM, Stephen Goranson wrote:
          > I wonder if Raphael Golb got the idea of writing under assumed names, as a sockpuppet, from Ian Hutchesson, who also wrote in support of all the Qumran scrolls coming from Jerusalem and having no Essene connection

          It may well be. But he intimated in his response to the indictment that
          he got the idea to do so from me, since he assumed the truth of the
          claim made by a crank named Geoff Hudson that I not only owned every
          Biblical studies list out there but that I incessantly posted under a
          variety of names (including Charles Gadda [so much for his prescience]
          and as you know, Stephen, you as well) so that I could argue with myself.
          > . He evidently used assumed names on the old ane list and the old orion list. From the latter archives (online) he wrote as John J. Hays [not John H. Hayes of Emory U.] in 1998 and Ann L. Kraemer [not Ross S. Kraemer] in 1999 and as Ann Elk in 1999.
          He posts today on at least one list under the "name" of "Spin".

          Jeffrey

          --
          ---
          Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
            On 2/16/2013 12:08 PM, Stephen Goranson wrote:
            > I wonder if Raphael Golb got the idea of writing under assumed names, as a
            > sockpuppet, from Ian Hutchesson, who also wrote in support of all the
            > Qumran scrolls coming from Jerusalem and having no Essene connection

            It may well be. But he intimated in his response to the indictment that
            he got the idea to do so from me, since he assumed the truth of the
            claim made by a crank named Geoff Hudson that I not only owned every
            Biblical studies list out there but that I incessantly posted under a
            variety of names (including Charles Gadda [so much for his prescience]
            and as you know, Stephen, you as well) so that I could argue with myself.
            > . He evidently used assumed names on the old ane list and the old orion
            > list. From the latter archives (online) he wrote as John J. Hays [not John
            > H. Hayes of Emory U.] in 1998 and Ann L. Kraemer [not Ross S. Kraemer] in
            > 1999 and as Ann Elk in 1999.
            He posts today on at least one list under the "name" of "Spin".

            Jeffrey

            --
            ---
            Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd
            Chicago, IL
            jgibson000@...

            As co-moderators for years, you and I have seen all kinds of
            cyber-nuttiness, but to deflect from Golb and his trial to something that
            would actually be interesting, just what solid evidence is there that the
            people of the DSS and the people of the Qumran ruin were one and the same?

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            Houston, TX