translations of Gilgamesh

  • Jgibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16 11:31 AM
      Recommendations, please, for good translations of the Epic of
      Gilgamesh. Is the Penguin edition still considered worthy for classroom
      use?

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---
      Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.

    • Stewart Felker
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16 11:55 AM
        The Penguin edition isn't Dalley's translation, is it? The same one that
        appears in her Myths from Mesopotamia? That would probably be a good one
        for classroom use (if the class isn't a specialty class, obviously).

        Of course, the more advanced version would be that of A. R. George. If it
        were an intro class, you'd obviously want to photocopy it, though. Also,
        that one has lacunae brackets.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16 8:22 PM
          There are two Penguin Gilgameshes: N. K. Sandars's prose retelling, and Andrew George's rendition of the full text. The latter is of course the one to use.

          Maureen Gallery's straightforward translation is also a good one.

          >________________________________

        • Jgibson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 17 6:36 AM
            On 2/16/2013 1:55 PM, Stewart Felker wrote:
            > The Penguin edition isn't Dalley's translation, is it?

            No - at least the Penguin that I have is N.K. Sandars version.
            > The same one that
            > appears in her Myths from Mesopotamia? That would probably be a good one
            > for classroom use (if the class isn't a specialty class, obviously).

            Does it contain the "whole" text or just excerpts from it?

            Jeffrey

            --
            ---
            Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 17 6:37 AM
              On 2/16/2013 10:22 PM, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
              > There are two Penguin Gilgameshes: N. K. Sandars's prose retelling, and Andrew George's rendition of the full text. The latter is of course the one to use.
              >
              > Maureen Gallery's straightforward translation is also a good one.

              Thanks, Peter. I have the Sandars text. I'll look for the others you
              mention.

              Jeffrey

              --
              ---