Re: recensions of Gilgamesh

  • Charles J
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013
      The charts to Andrew George's Aramazd article are in his space in the SOAS Institutional Repository: http://eprints.soas.ac.uk/7497/ along with the rest of the paper. See morer by him on this an other topics at:
      http://eprints.soas.ac.uk/view/divisions/2400.creators_name.html#group_G

      And while I have your attention I will point also to:
      http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2009/10/ancient-world-in-open-access.html
      listing scholars in ancient studies who are depositing copies of their publications in institutional repositories. If you are not there and wish to be included, let me know.

      -Chuck Jones-
      ISAW - NYU

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Stewart Felker wrote:

      > George has a paper called "Shatter Tablets and Tangled Threads: Editing
      > Gilgamesh, Then and Now" (in Aramazd). Apparently there's a 'Time chart
      > illustrating the evolution of the Gilgamesh epic' - but this seems to have
      > not made it into the version that's available online. I'm reasonably
      > familiar with the major editions/commentaries of George and Tigay, and
      > don't think there's anything like what you're looking for there.
      >
      > Beckman, in his article "Gilgamesh in Hatti," has a chart with
      > motifs/section present in different versions - but no attempt to actually
      > chart relationships (
      > http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/77471/Gilgamesh.pdf?sequence=1
      > ).
      >
      > In their recent monograph, Fleming and Milstein have a fairly basic
      > representation of what the think the evolution of the Huwawa Narrative was.
      > But this also probably won't be of a whole lot of use.
      >
      > I'm not familiar with Sallaberger's Das Gilgamesch-Epos, but it sounds like
      > there may be something similar to Beckman's table in it.
      >
      > I'll keep an eye out - I'd certainly be interested in this as well.
      >

      > Stewart Felker
      > University of Memphis
      >

      > On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Jgibson wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Is there anywhere on line a chart or graphic presentation that shows the
      > > development of the Gilgamesh epic -- and more specifically gives a kind
      > > of family tree of the material that went into the composition of the
      > > Assyrian "final" version of the story?
      > >
      > > Jeffrey
      > >
      > > --
      > > ---
      > > Jeffrey B. Gibson D.Phil. Oxon.
      > > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd
      > > Chicago, IL
      > > jgibson000@...

    • Amanda-Alice Maravelia
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
        Dear List:

        After having "suffered" with the incapacity of WINGLYPH to run in the WINDOWS 7 (64-bit) environment
        (though it runs with only few minuses in both VISTA and WIN 7/32-bit), I would like to inform you about
        the following, sharing some very helpful information:

        1. WINGLYPH is most probably the BEST editor until now and its Library and results are excellent.
        2. The last version of WINDOWS in the frame of which it functions perfectly is XP.
        3. If somebody has only WIN 7 64-bit and wants to run WINGLYPH on his/her machine there is a perfect
        and easy solution, that makes this possible. I mannaged to find it after some time of search and difficulties,
        being only able during that period to use WINGLYPH on my PC that functions with WIN XP ...

        All interested colleagues are welcome to contact me PERSONALLY for more information.

        Kind regards,

        Dr Amanda-Alice MARAVELIA.

        Hellenic Institute of Egyptology
        http://hiegaker.wordpress.com/

      • Amanda-Alice Maravelia
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
          Dear List:

          In the context of the next IAE Conference, all Colleagues who are interested in participating in the forth-
          coming Session of Archaeoastronomy/Ancient Egyptian Cosmography (and the like) of the 11th Interna-
          tional Conference of the IAE (Alexandria: BibAlex, September 2013), are kindly welcome to send their
          abstracts and/or ideas to me personally, however off-list.

          Please note that the subjects must not be necessarilly explicitly astronomical; that is they may have only
          a few or at least superficial astronomical and/or cosmovisional undertones, e.g.: the cosmetic spoons with
          a swimming girl alluding to Nut [cf. Dr Kozzloff's work], or other similar themes are highly welcome. An
          inter-connection with funerary practices and related magical tools (e.g.: for the wp-r3 liturgy) would be
          also a very good topic [cf. Dr Roth's work]. If there are also a few good and original proposals concer-
          ning the ancient Egyptian Mathematics and computational methods (e.g.: fractions and their reduction to
          unitary-ones, volumes & c.) that would be also highly acceptable. Currently there is an ongoing peer-re-
          view process for the selection of the best papers.