Re: OI Integrated Database Project launched

  • fdscalf
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2013
      Dear Colleagues,

      We are delighted to announce the launch of the Collections Search for the Oriental Institute Museum and Research Archives. Users can now explore over two hundred and seven thousand objects from the Oriental Institute Museum Collection and over four hundred fifty thousand bibliographic records as part of the Research Archives Online Catalog at the following link:

      https://oi.uchicago.edu/idb/

      You can also follow the "Search Our Collections" links on the Oriental Institute webpage.

      This is the home of the Oriental Institute's Collection Search, an on-going project that aims to provide public access to information about the diverse research and object-based collections managed and cared for by the Oriental Institute.

      The project has been over eight years in the making, and has involved migrating data from the older Collections and Research Archives databases to the new KE EMu (KE Electronic Museum) database, and creating a `front end' website portal to access the information. This launch includes both the Research Archives and the majority of the museum objects, not just those in the galleries, in the online database. Further information about the project can be found at:

      https://oi.uchicago.edu/research/idb/

      This is Phase I of a multistage project. We are currently working on transferring the Image database as part of Phase II, which is why you will generally not yet see images of objects on collections searches.

      Further information about the project will be posted shortly. You can use the "Feedback" link on the website to leave feedback or direct emails to Foy Scalf, Head of the Research Archives (scalffd@...), for forwarding to the proper recipient.
      The Oriental Institute would like to thank the following donors for making this project possible: The Institute of Museum and Library Services, The University of Chicago, and Aimee Drolet.

      (Posted by Foy Scalf, Head of Research Archives, Oriental Institute, scalffd@...)