Re: [ANE-2] FW: [agade] SAD NEWS: Victor Avigdor Hurowitz (1948-2013)

  • Sheila Michaels
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
      really too bad. My condolences to you as a colleague.

      Sheila Michaels: sent from iPad

> [...]

    • aren
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
        I had the honor, and pleasure, of studying first year Akkadian at HU under the late Avigdor (Victor) Hurowitz z"l.

        Many "Shumma Awilum"s we studied, accompanied by Avigdor's funny comments and interesting observations. He even once reprimanded me for eating the library...

        I will always remember Avigdor with his kippa (skullcap) with cuneiform written on it (I don't remember what it said), and that he ALWAYS boasted that he was one of the few people in the world who could converse fluently in Akkadian!

        Since my years as a student we've been in touch, and I've always admired his scholarship, humor and collegiality!

        Yehi Zichro Baruch!

        Aren Maeir
        gath.wordpress.com
      • Joseph I. Lauer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
          Just over four years ago, after he sent me a picture of him standing
          with Dr. Avi Hurvitz, I asked Victor (in an e-mail) what was written in
          cuneiform on his sweater vest.
          He answered, "The vest says "Mr. A-wi-ig-dur", same things as is on my
          kippah."
          I cherish the many years of correspondence I had with him on many
          subjects and miss his wit and wisdom.
          May his family and many friends find some consolation in happy memories.
          Yehi Zichro Baruch!

          Joseph I. Lauer
          Brooklyn, New York
        • Lisbeth S. Fried
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
            His kippa was knitted for him by his wife, Ann.

            Liz Fried