FW: [agade] SAD NEWS: Victor Avigdor Hurowitz (1948-2013)

  • Lisbeth S. Fried
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2013
      From: jack.m.sasson@... [mailto:jack.m.sasson@...] On Behalf Of
      Jack Sasson
      Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:57 PM
      To: The Agade mailing list.
      Subject: [agade] SAD NEWS: Victor Avigdor Hurowitz (1948-2013)

      Dispatches from Israel are conveying the incredibly sad news that Victor
      Avigdor Hurowitz died today, after a series of complications arising from
      struggles with a long term illness.

      He was just too young and did not live to receive a Festschrift currently
      being prepared in his honor. His website is at
      <http://profiler.bgu.ac.il/frontoffice/ShowUser.aspx?id=373>.

      As yet, I have not information about funeral arrangements.

      * -- You are currently subscribed to

      leave-32647720-4815225.c5b2e04841518ed88fd7a47f62362429@...

      * -- To (re-)subscribe please send a blank email to listserv@...,
      and write (as subject and in first line): subscribe agade

    • Sheila Michaels
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
        really too bad. My condolences to you as a colleague.

        Sheila Michaels: sent from iPad

> [...]

      • aren
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
          I had the honor, and pleasure, of studying first year Akkadian at HU under the late Avigdor (Victor) Hurowitz z"l.

          Many "Shumma Awilum"s we studied, accompanied by Avigdor's funny comments and interesting observations. He even once reprimanded me for eating the library...

          I will always remember Avigdor with his kippa (skullcap) with cuneiform written on it (I don't remember what it said), and that he ALWAYS boasted that he was one of the few people in the world who could converse fluently in Akkadian!

          Since my years as a student we've been in touch, and I've always admired his scholarship, humor and collegiality!

          Yehi Zichro Baruch!

          Aren Maeir
          gath.wordpress.com
        • Joseph I. Lauer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
            Just over four years ago, after he sent me a picture of him standing
            with Dr. Avi Hurvitz, I asked Victor (in an e-mail) what was written in
            cuneiform on his sweater vest.
            He answered, "The vest says "Mr. A-wi-ig-dur", same things as is on my
            kippah."
            I cherish the many years of correspondence I had with him on many
            subjects and miss his wit and wisdom.
            May his family and many friends find some consolation in happy memories.
            Yehi Zichro Baruch!

            Joseph I. Lauer
            Brooklyn, New York
          • Lisbeth S. Fried
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 21, 2013
              His kippa was knitted for him by his wife, Ann.

              Liz Fried