Ugaritic ṭlb 'to desire, seek, demand', Arabic ṭ lb - other Semitic cognates?

  • Stewart Felker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2013
      Zammit, in his etymological dictionary of Qur'anic Arabic, lists only one
      cognate for Arabic ṭlb 'to seek, search' (cf. ṭālib 'student') - Ugaritic
      ṭlb, glossed as 'verlangen'. I'm presuming this is taken from Aistleitner's
      Wörterbuch der Ugaritischen Sprache; however, I don't have access to this,
      and none of the other resources at my disposal (including del Olmo Lete and
      Sanmartin; Hoftijzer and Jongeling) mentions this word. Does anyone know
      anything about it - or about any other potential Semitic cognates?

      Stewart Felker,
      University of Memphis

      **