REMINDER: OI Post-Doctoral Scholar (DEADLINE Jan. 25)

  • fdscalf
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2013
      Final reminder about the Oriental Institute Post-Doctoral Scholar program: DEADLINE JANUARY 25TH

      Best,

      Foy Scalf
      Oriental Institute
      scalffd@...

      -----

      Changes to the Oriental Institute's Annual Post-Doctoral Conference Program

      The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago is pleased to
      announce the following changes to its Annual Post-Doctoral Scholar's
      Conference program, effective immediately. The term of the
      appointment has been extended from one year to two years. Further,
      the Oriental Institute will continue to advertise the position and
      make one new appointment on a yearly basis, the aim being to have two
      Post-Doctoral Scholars in residence simultaneously: one in his/her
      first year, and one in his/her second year.

      Further details may be found in this year's call for applications
      following this announcement:

      The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago invites
      applications for the Oriental Institute's Annual Post-Doctoral Scholar
      Conference program for the 2013–2015 academic years. This is a
      twenty-four-month, non-renewable appointment. During the first year
      of the appointment, the Post-Doctoral Scholar will organize and
      conduct a two-day conference at the Oriental Institute on key
      comparatively oriented theoretical or methodological issues in the
      field of ancient studies (archaeological, text-based, and/or art
      historical avenues of research). We encourage cross-disciplinary
      proposals that deal with the ancient Near East (including Egypt) or
      that compare the Near East with other cultural areas. Applicants
      should take into consideration the research interests represented at
      the Oriental Institute.

      The conference will take place in early to mid March 2014. Following
      the conference, the Post-Doctoral Scholar will work with publication
      staff to assemble and edit the proceedings for publication in the
      "Oriental Institute Seminars" series. During the second year of the
      appointment, the Post-Doctoral Scholar will assist in organizing a
      series of faculty seminars at the Oriental Institute. The incumbent is
      also encouraged to pursue his or her own research while in residence
      and to interact with the Oriental Institute community.

      Information on past Oriental Institute Annual symposia can be viewed at:
      <http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/symposia/>

      Qualifications: Ph.D. in a discipline relating to ancient studies must
      be complete at the time of appointment. Applicants should send:

      5-page proposal outlining the nature and structure of the conference
      (including the names and paper topics of six to eight key participants
      who have agreed to make presentations, should the conference be
      funded; for budgetary reasons, international participants should
      constitute no more than half of the list of six to eight invited
      speakers)
      curriculum vitae
      3 letters of reference (these may be sent under separate cover)

      Electronic submissions are welcome. Deadline for completed
      applications is Friday, January 25th, 2013. Start date is September
      1st, 2013. Please send applications to:

      Post-Doctoral Scholar Program
      attn. Mariana Perlinac, Oriental Institute
      University of Chicago
      1155 East 58th St.
      Chicago, IL 60637

      Or via e-mail to: oi-administration@...

      The University of Chicago is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
      employer.