Re: [ANE-2] Ashur and Ahura Mazda

  • Stewart Felker
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
      Have you consulted Paul Naster, �De la representation symbolique du dieu
      Assur aux premiers types mon�taires achem�nides,� in Compte rendu de
      l�onzi�me Rencontre assyriologique internationale (Leiden: Nederlands
      Instituut voor het Nabije Oosten, 1964)?

      Stewart Felker
      University of Memphis

      On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Michael F. Lane <mflane@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > Can any point me to some good summary sources on the origin and
      > development of the god in the winged wheel motif, associated first (?)
      > with Ashur and eventually with Ahura Mazda?

    • Stewart Felker
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
        There may also be some useful bibliographical info in Winford's _Aššur is
        King! Aššur is King!: Religion in the Exercise of Power in the Neo-Assyrian
        Empire_ (p. 170, n. 298).

        Stewart Felker

        > On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Michael F. Lane <mflane@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Dear all,
        >>
        >> Can any point me to some good summary sources on the origin and
        >> development of the god in the winged wheel motif, associated first (?)
        >> with Ashur and eventually with Ahura Mazda?

      • Joachim Friedrich Quack
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
          Am 29.12.2012 00:20, schrieb Jon Smyth:

          > Dear Dr. Maravelia.
          >
          > Those toponyms are both sourced and discussed in Caphtor/Keftiu, A New
          > Investigation, John Strange, 1980.
          >
          > The names you identify all predate the Hellenic period (500-300 BCE).
          > Before this period Hau Nebu is used in reference to coastal Syria, and
          > Tinay has been linked with Adana as a possibility. And prior to 500
          > BCE Keftiu remains unidentifed, however, at the end of the Hellenic
          > Period Crete is factually identified as Gerty/Kerty and Keftiu
          > associated with the Phoenician coast.
          >
          > Jon Smyth
          > Kitchener, ON. CAN

          May I point out that there is a substantial discussion of the Hau-nebut
          in J.F. Quack, Das Problem der O#w-nb.wt, in: A. Luther, R. Rollinger,
          J. Wiesehöfer (Hrsg.), Getrennte Wege? Kommunikation, Raum und
          Wahrnehmung in der Alten Welt, Oikumene 3 (Frankfurt 2007), 331-362.,
          where the claim that in older times it refers to coastal Syria (or even
          the northernmost regions of Egypt) is refuted. For Keftiu also, there
          are more recent important discussions concluding quite unanimously that
          in older periods it refers to Crete; I would like to mention my own in
          /kft#w/und /|#Èy/, Ägypten und Levante 6 (1996), 75-81 (with further
          references).

          Joachim Quack
          Ägyptologisches Institut, Universität heidelberg

        • Michael F. Lane
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
            Dear Stewart,

            Thanks for this and the other reference. I have read neither. I will read
            them now. Being a Mycenologist, they are a bit outside my area.

            Best,

            Michael Lane
            University of Maryland Baltimore County

            > Have you consulted Paul Naster, “De la representation symbolique du dieu
            > Assur aux premiers types monιtaires achemιnides,” in Compte rendu de
            > l’onziθme Rencontre assyriologique internationale (Leiden: Nederlands
            > Instituut voor het Nabije Oosten, 1964)?
            >

            > Stewart Felker
            > University of Memphis
            >
            > On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Michael F. Lane <mflane@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Dear all,
            >>
            >> Can any point me to some good summary sources on the origin and
            >> development of the god in the winged wheel motif, associated first (?)
            >> with Ashur and eventually with Ahura Mazda?

          • Jon Smyth
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
              Thankyou for the Hau-nebu reference Dr. Quack, much appreciated.

              I do always find it interesting that when Keftiu and Asy have been enumerated in pharaonic conquest lists among such names as Naharin, Khatti, Ugarit and Kadesh, etc., it is felt necessary to look for arguments to try disassociate Keftiu and Asy from the group.
              Certainly, Thutmosis is not trying to claim conquest over the island of Crete.

              We do know that Keftiu was located circa. 4th century BCE on the Phoenecian coast. We also know that over the Lebanon mnts. to the east, runs the Asy(Isy) river, today called Orontes, and locally it still retains its ancient name. Keftiu & Asy were in close proximity to each other, as suggested in the list ascribed to Thutmosis III where he comes to conquer "the west", which was Amurru.

              As we know, Amurru was bordered on the west by the Med. and to the north and east by the curvature of the Orontes (Asy).

              I appreciate that you feel a unanimous conclusion can be reached but in the face of a complete lack of verification in the ancient world, any conclusion which attempts to remove Keftiu & Asy from Amurru must still be debatable.

              Kind regards, Jon Smyth
              Kitchener, Ont.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                Am 05.01.2013 19:18, schrieb Jon Smyth:

                > Thankyou for the Hau-nebu reference Dr. Quack, much appreciated.
                >
                > I do always find it interesting that when Keftiu and Asy have been
                > enumerated in pharaonic conquest lists among such names as Naharin,
                > Khatti, Ugarit and Kadesh, etc., it is felt necessary to look for
                > arguments to try disassociate Keftiu and Asy from the group.
                > Certainly, Thutmosis is not trying to claim conquest over the island
                > of Crete.
                >
                > We do know that Keftiu was located circa. 4th century BCE on the
                > Phoenecian coast. We also know that over the Lebanon mnts. to the
                > east, runs the Asy(Isy) river, today called Orontes, and locally it
                > still retains its ancient name. Keftiu & Asy were in close proximity
                > to each other, as suggested in the list ascribed to Thutmosis III
                > where he comes to conquer "the west", which was Amurru.
                >
                > As we know, Amurru was bordered on the west by the Med. and to the
                > north and east by the curvature of the Orontes (Asy).
                >
                > I appreciate that you feel a unanimous conclusion can be reached but
                > in the face of a complete lack of verification in the ancient world,
                > any conclusion which attempts to remove Keftiu & Asy from Amurru must
                > still be debatable.
                >
                > Kind regards, Jon Smyth
                > Kitchener, Ont.

                Dear Mr Smyth,

                Please read the details in the articles I mentioned; and check the
                totallity of attestations for kftiw a bit more in detail.
                If an Egyptian sources speaks of the 'west' (as see from Egypt),
                obviously it does not referr to the region of the Levant.
                Which specific 'list' of Thutmosis III do you have in mind? If it is (as
                I suspect) the 'poetic stele' (Urk. IV 616, 2), then you should really
                check in more detail. The text is not a conquest list; it is a highly
                poetic claim of universal awe before the pharaoh. It covers all regions
                within reach of Egypt (e.g. also Libya). Keftiu and Isy are the only
                toponyms indicated there for the 'West land'.

                Yours,

                Joachim Quack

              • ehcline
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                  Mr. Smyth --

                  Your hypothesis is negated by the appearance of Keftiu on the "Aegean List" of Amenhotep III, where it is clearly associated with placenames from the Aegean. Its location in the Aegean, rather than the Levant, during the Bronze Age is not debatable, contrary to your statements. I have published on this numerous times, if you need references, you need only ask; the most recent appears in the online Journal of Ancient Egyptian Interconnections. For additional occurrences of Keftiu and other references to the Aegean in New Kingdom Egypt, you and others will want to consult my book Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: International Trade and the Late Bronze Age Aegean, originally published in 1994 and reissued in 2009.

                  Cheers,

                  Eric H. Cline