Various Hellenic Toponyms

  • Amanda-Alice Maravelia
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 26, 2012
      Dear List:

      I am looking for Hellenic Toponyms, as many as possible, like e.g.: H3w-nbwt/Aegean, Kftjw/Crete, Tny/Rhodos, Mnws/Minos,
      & c. Is there any CORPUS with them, referring also to where they are met, i.e.: in which anc. Egyptian texts or other sources
      or monuments (like for instance the Tomb of Rekhmire, and so on)? I would be very grateful for any answer off-list.

      Many thanks & Merry Christmas wishes,

      Dr Amanda-Alice Maravelia
      Hellenic Institute of Egyptology
      [ http://hiegaker.wordpress.com ]

    • Michael F. Lane
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
        Dear all,

        Can any point me to some good summary sources on the origin and
        development of the god in the winged wheel motif, associated first (?)
        with Ashur and eventually with Ahura Mazda?

        All best wishes for the holidays,

        Michael F. Lane
        Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County

        --
        Dr. Michael Franklin Lane
        Co-Director, AROURA
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
          See W. G. Lambert, 'Trees, Snakes and Gods in Ancient Syria and
          Anatolia',/Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies//,
          University of London /48, 1985, pp. 435-451; T. Orman, 'A Complex System
          of Religous Symhols: The Case of the Winged Disc in Near Eastern Imagery
          of the First Millennium BCE', in C. E. Suter and C. Uehlinger (edd.),
          /Crafts and Images in Contact. Studies on Eastern Mediterranean Art of
          the First Millenium BCE /(Fribourg, Academic Press, 2005), pp. 207-241,
          especially 207-210; S.W. Holloway, /As(s(ur is King ! As(s(ur is King !
          Religion in the Exercise of Power in the Neo-Assyrian Empire/
          (Leiden-Boston-Ko"ln, Brill, 2002), pp. 66-67 ; M. A. Atac,, /The
          Mythology of Kingship in Neo-Assyrian Art/ (Cambridge, CU.P., 2011), pp.
          126-128 (overly speculative).

          I hope this will help you begin.

          J.-F. Nardelli
          Universite' de Provence.

          Le 28/12/2012 18:59, Michael F. Lane a e'crit :
          > Dear all,
          >
          > Can any point me to some good summary sources on the origin and
          > development of the god in the winged wheel motif, associated first (?)
          > with Ashur and eventually with Ahura Mazda?
          >
          > All best wishes for the holidays,
          >
          > Michael F. Lane
          > Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County

        • Jon Smyth
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
            Dear Dr. Maravelia.

            Those toponyms are both sourced and discussed in Caphtor/Keftiu, A New Investigation, John Strange, 1980.

            The names you identify all predate the Hellenic period (500-300 BCE).
            Before this period Hau Nebu is used in reference to coastal Syria, and Tinay has been linked with Adana as a possibility. And prior to 500 BCE Keftiu remains unidentifed, however, at the end of the Hellenic Period Crete is factually identified as Gerty/Kerty and Keftiu associated with the Phoenician coast.

            Jon Smyth
            Kitchener, ON. CAN

            --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Amanda-Alice Maravelia <a_maravelia@...> wrote:

            > Dear List:
            >
            > I am looking for Hellenic Toponyms, as many as possible, like e.g.: H3w-nbwt/Aegean, Kftjw/Crete, Tny/Rhodos, Mnws/Minos,
            > & c. Is there any CORPUS with them, referring also to where they are met, i.e.: in which anc. Egyptian texts or other sources
            > or monuments (like for instance the Tomb of Rekhmire, and so on)? I would be very grateful for any answer off-list.
            >
            > Many thanks & Merry Christmas wishes,
            >
            > Dr Amanda-Alice Maravelia
            > Hellenic Institute of Egyptology
            > [ http://hiegaker.wordpress.com ]

          • Stewart Felker
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
              Have you consulted Paul Naster, �De la representation symbolique du dieu
              Assur aux premiers types mon�taires achem�nides,� in Compte rendu de
              l�onzi�me Rencontre assyriologique internationale (Leiden: Nederlands
              Instituut voor het Nabije Oosten, 1964)?

              Stewart Felker
              University of Memphis

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 28, 2012
                There may also be some useful bibliographical info in Winford's _Aššur is
                King! Aššur is King!: Religion in the Exercise of Power in the Neo-Assyrian
                Empire_ (p. 170, n. 298).

                Stewart Felker

                > On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Michael F. Lane <mflane@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Dear all,
                >>
                >> Can any point me to some good summary sources on the origin and
                >> development of the god in the winged wheel motif, associated first (?)
                >> with Ashur and eventually with Ahura Mazda?

              • Joachim Friedrich Quack
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
                  Am 29.12.2012 00:20, schrieb Jon Smyth:

                  > Dear Dr. Maravelia.
                  >
                  > Those toponyms are both sourced and discussed in Caphtor/Keftiu, A New
                  > Investigation, John Strange, 1980.
                  >
                  > The names you identify all predate the Hellenic period (500-300 BCE).
                  > Before this period Hau Nebu is used in reference to coastal Syria, and
                  > Tinay has been linked with Adana as a possibility. And prior to 500
                  > BCE Keftiu remains unidentifed, however, at the end of the Hellenic
                  > Period Crete is factually identified as Gerty/Kerty and Keftiu
                  > associated with the Phoenician coast.
                  >
                  > Jon Smyth
                  > Kitchener, ON. CAN

                  May I point out that there is a substantial discussion of the Hau-nebut
                  in J.F. Quack, Das Problem der O#w-nb.wt, in: A. Luther, R. Rollinger,
                  J. Wiesehöfer (Hrsg.), Getrennte Wege? Kommunikation, Raum und
                  Wahrnehmung in der Alten Welt, Oikumene 3 (Frankfurt 2007), 331-362.,
                  where the claim that in older times it refers to coastal Syria (or even
                  the northernmost regions of Egypt) is refuted. For Keftiu also, there
                  are more recent important discussions concluding quite unanimously that
                  in older periods it refers to Crete; I would like to mention my own in
                  /kft#w/und /|#Èy/, Ägypten und Levante 6 (1996), 75-81 (with further
                  references).

                  Joachim Quack
                  Ägyptologisches Institut, Universität heidelberg

                • Michael F. Lane
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
                    Dear Stewart,

                    Thanks for this and the other reference. I have read neither. I will read
                    them now. Being a Mycenologist, they are a bit outside my area.

                    Best,

                    Michael Lane
                    University of Maryland Baltimore County

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
                      Thankyou for the Hau-nebu reference Dr. Quack, much appreciated.

                      I do always find it interesting that when Keftiu and Asy have been enumerated in pharaonic conquest lists among such names as Naharin, Khatti, Ugarit and Kadesh, etc., it is felt necessary to look for arguments to try disassociate Keftiu and Asy from the group.
                      Certainly, Thutmosis is not trying to claim conquest over the island of Crete.

                      We do know that Keftiu was located circa. 4th century BCE on the Phoenecian coast. We also know that over the Lebanon mnts. to the east, runs the Asy(Isy) river, today called Orontes, and locally it still retains its ancient name. Keftiu & Asy were in close proximity to each other, as suggested in the list ascribed to Thutmosis III where he comes to conquer "the west", which was Amurru.

                      As we know, Amurru was bordered on the west by the Med. and to the north and east by the curvature of the Orontes (Asy).

                      I appreciate that you feel a unanimous conclusion can be reached but in the face of a complete lack of verification in the ancient world, any conclusion which attempts to remove Keftiu & Asy from Amurru must still be debatable.

                      Kind regards, Jon Smyth
                      Kitchener, Ont.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                        Am 05.01.2013 19:18, schrieb Jon Smyth:

                        > Thankyou for the Hau-nebu reference Dr. Quack, much appreciated.
                        >
                        > I do always find it interesting that when Keftiu and Asy have been
                        > enumerated in pharaonic conquest lists among such names as Naharin,
                        > Khatti, Ugarit and Kadesh, etc., it is felt necessary to look for
                        > arguments to try disassociate Keftiu and Asy from the group.
                        > Certainly, Thutmosis is not trying to claim conquest over the island
                        > of Crete.
                        >
                        > We do know that Keftiu was located circa. 4th century BCE on the
                        > Phoenecian coast. We also know that over the Lebanon mnts. to the
                        > east, runs the Asy(Isy) river, today called Orontes, and locally it
                        > still retains its ancient name. Keftiu & Asy were in close proximity
                        > to each other, as suggested in the list ascribed to Thutmosis III
                        > where he comes to conquer "the west", which was Amurru.
                        >
                        > As we know, Amurru was bordered on the west by the Med. and to the
                        > north and east by the curvature of the Orontes (Asy).
                        >
                        > I appreciate that you feel a unanimous conclusion can be reached but
                        > in the face of a complete lack of verification in the ancient world,
                        > any conclusion which attempts to remove Keftiu & Asy from Amurru must
                        > still be debatable.
                        >
                        > Kind regards, Jon Smyth
                        > Kitchener, Ont.

                        Dear Mr Smyth,

                        Please read the details in the articles I mentioned; and check the
                        totallity of attestations for kftiw a bit more in detail.
                        If an Egyptian sources speaks of the 'west' (as see from Egypt),
                        obviously it does not referr to the region of the Levant.
                        Which specific 'list' of Thutmosis III do you have in mind? If it is (as
                        I suspect) the 'poetic stele' (Urk. IV 616, 2), then you should really
                        check in more detail. The text is not a conquest list; it is a highly
                        poetic claim of universal awe before the pharaoh. It covers all regions
                        within reach of Egypt (e.g. also Libya). Keftiu and Isy are the only
                        toponyms indicated there for the 'West land'.

                        Yours,

                        Joachim Quack

                      • ehcline
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2013
                          Mr. Smyth --

                          Your hypothesis is negated by the appearance of Keftiu on the "Aegean List" of Amenhotep III, where it is clearly associated with placenames from the Aegean. Its location in the Aegean, rather than the Levant, during the Bronze Age is not debatable, contrary to your statements. I have published on this numerous times, if you need references, you need only ask; the most recent appears in the online Journal of Ancient Egyptian Interconnections. For additional occurrences of Keftiu and other references to the Aegean in New Kingdom Egypt, you and others will want to consult my book Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: International Trade and the Late Bronze Age Aegean, originally published in 1994 and reissued in 2009.

                          Cheers,

                          Eric H. Cline