Re: P. Silberberg-Zilwer's work on the tombs excavated by Weill at Gezer

  • Joseph Weinstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2012
      Will small wonders never cease? Silberberg-Zilwer's study on the tombs
      excavated by Weill at Gezer is chock-full of useful information.

      Has anyone attempted to cross-correlate the artifacts studied by
      Silberberg-Zilwer with those published by Aren Maeir? I have gotten as
      far as realizing that Silberberg-Zilwer renumbered the tombs in
      chronological order, whereas the few provenance markings quoted by Maeir
      used the original tomb numbering. Consequently, Maier T.1 =
      Silberberg-Zilwer T.7 (LB II), Maeir T.3 = Silberberg-Zilwer T.8 (also
      LB II), Maier T.9 = SIlberberg-Zilwer T.9 (Iron). The items from these
      tombs largely correspond, and I have been able to identify a few others
      as well . However, there also seem to be items published by Maeir that
      do not appear in Silberberg-Zilwer's catalog at all, such as the three
      MB cylindrical juglets (Maeir 6.11, 6.12, and 6.17).

      --
      Joseph Weinstein
      Senior Technical Scientist