SV: [ANE-2] Re: R. Gmirkin on the date of the Pentateuch

    Message 1 of 9 , May 3 4:23 PM
      Somehow I agree with George here. Again, like in archaeology, a text is dated according to the youngest part, and not the oldest. But the idea that a text from say 250 BCE will not contain information from another and earlier period is not very convincing. In discussing such matters, we need to include more than one parameter.

      The Book of Isaiah cannot be older than its youngest component. This means the book as preserved in the HB and in the DSS. This does not say that, e.g., the Deuteronomistic parts were written in the 3rd or 2nd century BCE.

      Again, it is necessary to find methods that allow us to control the speculation.

      Niels Peter Lemche