Canadian Society for Coptic Studies announcements

  • societystudyegyptianantiquities
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2012
      Announcement of Public Lecture and Sixth Annual Coptic Studies Symposium
      call for papers

      Public Lecture

      From Thebes to Constantinople: The Emergence of Egyptian Christianity

      November 26, 7pm, Room 323, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto

      Lecturer: Dr. V.Tobin. Emeritus Professor of St. Mary's University,
      Halifax.

      Dr. Tobin is the author of Theological Principles of Egyptian Religion
      and has contributed to The Oxford Encyclopaedia of Ancient Egypt and The
      Ancient Gods Speak: a Guide to Egyptian Religion.

      Abstract:

      Christianity did not simply wipe out and destroy the older Egyptian
      spirituality. The transition from the older ways to the new faith was,
      despite the obvious clashes and conflicts, somewhat subtler and even
      more favourable to the older Egyptian ethos than is normally accepted.
      What in effect happened was that the ancient Egyptian mindset and
      spiritual acumen was able to adopt and adapt the newer symbols and use
      them for a valid expression of its older aspirations.

      Sixth Annual Coptic Studies Symposium

      COPTIC HERITAGE: TRADITIONS AND TRANSITIONS

      University of Calgary, Saturday February 9th, 2013

      Proposals for paper presentations for the Sixth Annual Symposium of the
      Canadian Society for Coptic Studies to be held on 9 February, 2013 at
      University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta. We welcome proposals from a
      variety of disciplines and perspectives to contribute to the conference
      discourse onCoptic Heritage: Traditions and Transitions. This
      interdisciplinary conference is for scholars and graduate students whose
      research focus on Coptic Studies.

      The deadline to submit a proposal (a title and a short abstract of
      250-500 words) is December 6, 2012. Proposals may be submitted to the
      Symposium Coordinator, Dr. Anne Moore: amoore@...
      <mailto:amoore@...>

      There will also be a Public Event on Friday February 8 at St. Mina's
      Coptic Orthodox Church, Calgary.

      Anne Moore, PhD

      Graduate Program Director

      Associate Professor

      Department of Religious Studies

      University of Calgary

      2500 University Drive N.W.

      Calgary, Alberta T4N lN4

      --------------------------------

      Dr. Helene Moussa, Secretary
      Canadian Society for Coptic Studies
      cscs@...

    • societystudyegyptianantiquities
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2012
        CANADIAN SOCIETY FOR COPTIC STUDIES SYMPOSIUMAnyone wishing to present
        at this symposium must be a member of the Canadian Society for Coptic
        Studies.
        Those wishing to join should submit a membership form, available by
        emailing cscs @ utoronto.ca (spaces added to make the address visible)
        by cutting and pasting the following into a document and printing
        it:https://www.facebook.com/notes/canadian-society-for-coptic-studies/me\
        mbership-form-cscs/386707751349420
        Dr. Helene Moussa, Secretary
        Canadian Society for Coptic Studiescscs@...