Brooklyn Museum Backlist Online

  • Charles E. Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 2012
      Perhaps I'm late to the party, but I discovered today the the pre-1990 back list of Brooklyn Museum Publications is now available under a Creative Commons non-commercial attribution license via the copies in the custody of HathiTrust. In other words they're free for you to read or download. I've pulled together the titles dealing with antiquity at:
      (http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2012/10/brooklyn-museum-publications-titles.html)

      Two weeks ago the Metropolitan Museum did a similar thing, and I posted a list of their past oriented titles at:
      (http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2012/10/metropolitan-museum-of-art-publications.html)

      This past summer, the American School of Classical Studies at Athens published the full run of Hesperia in open access (http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2012/07/hesperia-goes-open-access.html), joining their already considerable corpus of open access materials (http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2009/10/open-access-publications-publications.html)

      It's wonderful to see these institutions following in the steps of pioneers of open access publication in these fields such at the Oriental Institute (http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2010/10/oriental-institute-open-access.html) and the Ecole française d'Athènes (http://ancientworldbloggers.blogspot.com/2008/04/awol-ancient-world-online-1.html)

      There are of course many other projects and institutions providing open access copies of collections large and small, and I work to list them in AWOL when I discover them and when you tell me about them. But it is particularly encouraging to see institutional commitment to openness from such venerable organizations, and I hope that it will encourage other institutions to follow suit. Indeed, anyone who holds the rights to a book or books held by HathiTrust is encouraged to do as Brooklyn has done and authorize them to make it fully accessible under a Creative Commons license.

      -Chuck Jones-
      ISAW - NYU
    • Douglas Petrovich
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2012
        Dear List,

        An important book on the history of ancient Israel has just been published by Daniel E. Fleming, entitled, The Legacy of Israel in Judah's Bible: History, Politics, and the Reinscribing of Tradition (Cambridge U. Press, 2012).

        The author is an Assyriologist, Biblical Scholar, and Professor of Hebrew and Judaic Studies at NYU. He also is possibly the foremost authority on religious life and practice at LBA Emar.

        For whatever it is worth, Finkelstein seems to rave about the book. The price seems to quite reasonable, between $25 and $35 USD, depending on where you look.

        Sincerely,

        Doug Petrovich
        Toronto, CA

      • Thomas L. Thompson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
          I have begun reading the book. Some things are very promising, such as his rejection of the concept
          of ethnicity. Yet. so far--and I hope it is only so far--I miss a detailed intention to argue from evidence.
          It is a very American book, but open to many ideas. I have a long train ride to Uppsala next week and
          I hope I will come foreward with the book. In ways it reminds me of the Miller-Hayes book of 1986.
          __
          Thomas
          Thomas L. Thompson
          Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen

          ______________________________________
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
            Dear Thomas,

            would you mind clarifying what you meant by "very American book" ?
            There has been a few ripples, recently, as to the use of the divide
            'American' versus 'European' in Classical scholarship, with respect to
            the amount of footnoting and the breadth of vision displayed, of which I
            should like to inform / remind the list. I remarked (Aristarchus
            antibarbus, pp. LIX-LX note ***********) : � B. B. Powell �crit de la
            riche collection d�articles de J. N. Bremmer Greek Religion and Culture,
            the Bible, and the Ancient Near East, Leyde & Boston, 2008, qu�elle
            parade son �rudition secondaire (BMCR 2009. 01.13, ad finem : � the
            too-abundant notes are also an unpleasant feature, as if Bremmer were
            playing a parlor game when the reader wants to learn something about the
            ancient world. A footnote should lead the reader to a source worth
            exploring, or verify a point of contention. Too many of these notes, to
            obscure journals or even such languages as Polish, do neither. I doubt
            we need a footnote to prove that Gladstone was busy in December, 1872
            (p. 101) or that Greek poets could be given to exaggeration (p. 176), or
            seven citations to verify that Codrus dressed as a woodworker when he
            killed himself (p. 180). (...) But Bremmer writes in a European
            tradition that admires such behavior �). Passons sur la dichotomie
            outranci�re opposant la science am�ricaine � la Wissenschaft du Vieux
            Continent ; Powell est all� chercher loin ses exemples, et il se gausse
            de cas extr�mes, non sans oublier qu�il ne fit pas autrement dans son
            Homer and the Greek Alphabet (1991), travail tout alourdi de bourrage
            �pigraphique servant � d�tourner l�attention des faiblesses de la th�se
            et � esquiver les difficult�s contre lesquelles elle achoppe. Alius sic,
            alius uere sic ; je me berce de l�espoir d�avoir �quip� de r�f�rences
            dans le texte ou muni de notes bibliographiques celles, et celles-l�
            seules, de mes affirmations qui ne relevaient pas de la banalit� pour
            quiconque a quelque connaissance du sujet qui m�occupe. � Compare H. S.
            Versnel, Coping with the Gods. Wayward Readings in Greek Theology
            (Leiden & Boston, 2011), pp. 18-19 : � in a review of a recent book of a
            compatriot of mine, whose craving for footnotes is one of the few things
            we share, the critic frontally censures the �too-abundant notes as an
            unpleasant feature�, giving a few deterring examples. In his view �a
            footnote should lead the reader to a source worth exploring, or verify a
            point of contention.� And he explains the author�s aberrant preference
            for the footnote: �But the author writes in a European tradition that
            admires such behavior.� (...) Such critical assessments baffle me. How
            can notes, more particularly endnotes, obscure the main text? And what
            about �a European tradition� as proposed by the first reviewer? Did he
            ever cast a glance into the early scriptures of the �Paris school� ? I
            well remember that at least one of my incentives to give rather free
            rein to the footnote was the shocking observation of the dearth of
            them�and the near total lack of references to non-French literature�in
            these French works. For other conceivable motives, some of which I
            recognize, I refer the reader to the highly amusing studies of Steve
            Nimis and Antony Grafton. �Giving an intellectual context for one�s
            argument, referring the reader to further or contrary discussions on the
            subject, giving credit to predecessors� strikes me as a suitable generic
            summary of the major functions of the footnote, especially since it
            leaves the author sufficient room for his own interpretation of these
            options. Relevancy moreover is a highly individual concept. However,
            imposing restrictive directives on what a footnote should/must/ought to
            offer is in my view a pedantic hobby. � I, for one, find it quite barren
            to oppose US scholarship to European Wissenschaft, even if by the latter
            one understands the good old, German-Swiss tradition of Classical studies.

            All the best,
            J.-F. Nardelli
            Universit� de Provence

          • Thomas L. Thompson
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2012
              Dear Jean-Fabrice,
              It is interesting what you write and, as stated, I recognize what you mean. However, I wasn't at all thinking
              about footnotes when I wrote that it was 'very American'--as barren or empty as that is without any kind
              of clarification. Nor had I seen it as particularly negative, even as I would have begun such a work, which
              departs so much from the expected by making my starting point within scholarship somewhat clearer. But then,
              I studied in Tübingen under Kurt Galling. As it is, I have just begun reading and writing again as I am recovering
              from eye surgery and I was considering putting my thoughts into a few short paragraphs as I read through the
              book. Having read only the two introductions and just beginning to deal with the book itself, I was not really clear
              yet what the book wanted to do or what its genre and context was within the wide-ranging writing of ancient
              history over the past 40 years about Israel and Judah, history and tradition and I was trying to find a way of expressing
              my feelings of uncertainty. It read like a student textbook, but was not. When it did address the works of others,
              it was to acknowledge his using them. In doing so, he took their conclusions and added his own, but didn't seem
              to work with questions, but with a kind of model of how he was going to draw further conclusions. So far, the book
              reminds me very much of Norman Gottwald's Tribes of Yahweh; not because of footnotes, which Gottwald of course
              loved (!), but because of the implicit authorial voice. I don't know yet whether I will continue thinking this way,
              but I wanted to mark the expectation this awakened so that I could return to it. As a scholar, I have always lived on
              both sides of the Atlantic and have always found it very fruitful to be aware of the many typical differences that
              separates our scholarship traditions. As a former American, I must admit that in trying to understand an issue, what does
              not fit or what I didn't know before, ngages my interest. What is already known, however, doesn't interest me very much.
              From this side of the Atlantic, however, and as a Dane, I start with such questions and end best with several others.

              antibarbus, pp. LIX-LX note ***********) : « B. B. Powell écrit de la
              riche collection d’articles de J. N. Bremmer Greek Religion and Culture,
              the Bible, and the Ancient Near East, Leyde & Boston, 2008, qu’elle
              parade son érudition secondaire (BMCR 2009. 01.13, ad finem : « the
              too-abundant notes are also an unpleasant feature, as if Bremmer were
              playing a parlor game when the reader wants to learn something about the
              ancient world. A footnote should lead the reader to a source worth
              exploring, or verify a point of contention. Too many of these notes, to
              obscure journals or even such languages as Polish, do neither. I doubt
              we need a footnote to prove that Gladstone was busy in December, 1872
              (p. 101) or that Greek poets could be given to exaggeration (p. 176), or
              seven citations to verify that Codrus dressed as a woodworker when he
              killed himself (p. 180). (...) But Bremmer writes in a European
              tradition that admires such behavior »). Passons sur la dichotomie
              outrancière opposant la science américaine à la Wissenschaft du Vieux
              Continent ; Powell est allé chercher loin ses exemples, et il se gausse
              de cas extrêmes, non sans oublier qu’il ne fit pas autrement dans son
              Homer and the Greek Alphabet (1991), travail tout alourdi de bourrage
              épigraphique servant à détourner l’attention des faiblesses de la thèse
              et à esquiver les difficultés contre lesquelles elle achoppe. Alius sic,
              alius uere sic ; je me berce de l’espoir d’avoir équipé de références
              dans le texte ou muni de notes bibliographiques celles, et celles-là
              seules, de mes affirmations qui ne relevaient pas de la banalité pour
[...]

              Université de Provence