Re: Message not approved: SV: [ANE-2] On the Historicity of Troy

  • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2012
      For the appreciation of the list, a short bibliography may be timely.
      Let me cite M. Benzi, 'Anatolia and the Eastern Aegean at the Time of
      the Trojan War', in F. Montanari and P. Ascheri (edd.), Omero tremila
      anni dopo. Atti del Congresso di Genova, 6-8 luglio 2000 (Rome, 2002),
      pp. 343-405 at 358-385 (by far the best interim survey at its date, with
      an admirable bibliography) ; B. Kromer, M. Korfmann and P. Jablonka,
      'Heidelberg Radiocarbon Dates for Troia I to VIII and Kumtepe', in G. A.
      Wagner, E. Pernicka and H.-P. Uerpmann (edd.), Troia and the Troad.
      Scientific Approaches (Berlin, Heidelberg & New York, 2003), pp. 43-55 ;
      D. Hertel and F. Kolb, 'Troy in Clearer Perspective', Anatolian Studies
      53, 2003, pp. 71-88 (response to Easton-Hawkins-Sherratt) ; Kolb, 'Troy
      VI : A Trading Center and Commercial City ?', American Journal of
      Archaeology 108, 2004, pp. 577-613 (demonstration that traffic through
      the Hellespont seems to have been limited in the Bronze Age, with
      precious few items from the Black Sea at Troy proper) ; Bryce, The
      Trojans and their Neighbours (London, 2006), pp. 58-87, particularly
      62-64 ; R. Rahmstorf, 'Zur Ausbreitung vorderasiatischer Innovationen in
      die frühbronzezeitliche Ägäis', Praehistorische Zeitschrift 81, 2006,
      pp. 49-96 (focuses on the interregional trade in the period 2500-2200 BC
      but contextually relevant) ; N. Specht, Mosaik Troia. Die Bilanz einer
      Kontroverse - Examensarbeit (sine loco, 2008), pp. 15-40, especially 36
      sqq. (rather uncritical, as typical of its academic genre, yet
      suggestive) ; C. B. Rose, 'Separating Fact from Fiction in the Aiolian
      Migration', Hesperia 77, 2008, pp. 399-430 at 407-411 ; Benzi, 'La
      guerre fantôme. La guerre de Troie dans une perspective archéologique',
      in M. Fartzoff, M. Faudot, E. Geny and M.-R. Guelfucci (edd.),
      Reconstruire Troie. Permanence et renaissances d'une cité emblématique
      (Besançon, 2009), pp. 445-468, for whom "it is hard to entertain the
      notion that trade with the Black Sea was of such cardinal importance for
      the Mycenaeans that they came to war against Troy" (p. 460, my
      translation) ; J. Freu and M. Mazoyer, Les Hittites et leur histoire, II
      Les débuts du nouvel empire hittite (Paris, 2007), pp. 81-85 (quite a
      flippant application of philology by two Hittite scholars ill-regarded
      by their American and German colleagues ; caveat emptor) ; G. M.
      Beckman, T. R. Bryce and E. H. Cline, The Ahhiyawa Texts (Atlanta,
      2011), pp. 1-6, 267-283. To conclude, a quote from Ian Morris, a great
      authority in the field : "the real controversy, I think, should not be
      over whether the story of Troy goes back to the Bronze Age, but over how
      much of Homer's story line is accurate" (Classical Philology 101, 2006,
      p. 292).

      J.-F. Nardelli
      Université de Provence