Re: [ANE-2] On the Historicity of Troy

  • Simeon Chavel
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 17, 2012
      "Comprehensive smackdown." Nice phrase.
      Simi Chavel
      Simeon Chavel
      Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
      The University of Chicago Divinity School
      http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/chavel.shtml

      On Oct 17, 2012, at 10:37 AM, Jean-Fabrice Nardelli wrote:

      > The name of the philologist and ringleader of the Homeric /Neoanalytiker
      > /Wolfgang Kullmann springs to the mind ; a summary of his objections
      > appears in his review,/Gnomon /73, 2001, pp. 657-653, of Joachim
      > Latacz's seminal /Troia und Homer/ (English translation, Oxford, 2004) ;
      > see http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2002/2002-02-15.html for a comprehensive
      > smackdown. The archaeologist Dieter Hertel has been Kolb's acolyte in
      > the latter's offensive against Korfmann ; see, of late, Hertel, /Das
      > fr�he Ilion. Die Besiedlung Troias durch die Griechen (1020-650/25
      > v.Chr.)/, M�nchen, 2008, especially pp. 25-30 against Korfmann (this
      > book, the most comprehensive exposition of the nihilist stance, does not
      > really answer to D. F. Easton, J. D. Hawkins and E. S. Sherratt, 'Troy
      > in Recent Perspective', /Anatolian Studies/ 52, 2002, pp. 75-109, where
      > archaeology is far from looming large - see on 103-106). Though cool
      > skepticism as advocated, e.g., by K. A. Raaflaub (in Foley (ed.),
      > /Blackwell Companion to Ancient Epic/ [2005], pp. 58-60) remains the
      > most scientific posture, my own conviction as an Homeric scholar is far
      > closer to those of Latacz (/Troy and Homer/, pp. 166-205) or Bryce (/The
      > Kingdom of the Hittites/�, pp. 357-371).
      >
      > J.-F. Nardelli
      > Universit� de Provence

    • Thomas L. Thompson
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 18, 2012
        Isn't the term nihilist position far too tendentious for a scholarly list?
        Thomas

        Thomas L. Thompson
        Professor emeeitus, University of Copenhagen
        The name of the philologist and ringleader of the Homeric /Neoanalytiker
        /Wolfgang Kullmann springs to the mind ; a summary of his objections
        appears in his review,/Gnomon /73, 2001, pp. 657-653, of Joachim
        Latacz's seminal /Troia und Homer/ (English translation, Oxford, 2004) ;
        see http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2002/2002-02-15.html for a comprehensive
        smackdown. The archaeologist Dieter Hertel has been Kolb's acolyte in
        the latter's offensive against Korfmann ; see, of late, Hertel, /Das
        frühe Ilion. Die Besiedlung Troias durch die Griechen (1020-650/25
        v.Chr.)/, München, 2008, especially pp. 25-30 against Korfmann (this
        book, the most comprehensive exposition of the nihilist stance, does not
        really answer to D. F. Easton, J. D. Hawkins and E. S. Sherratt, 'Troy
        in Recent Perspective', /Anatolian Studies/ 52, 2002, pp. 75-109, where
        archaeology is far from looming large - see on 103-106). Though cool
        skepticism as advocated, e.g., by K. A. Raaflaub (in Foley (ed.),
        /Blackwell Companion to Ancient Epic/ [2005], pp. 58-60) remains the
        most scientific posture, my own conviction as an Homeric scholar is far
        closer to those of Latacz (/Troy and Homer/, pp. 166-205) or Bryce (/The
        Kingdom of the Hittites/², pp. 357-371).

        J.-F. Nardelli
        Université de Provence

      • Thomas L. Thompson
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 18, 2012
          Isn't the term 'nihilist' all too tendentious for this list?
          It awakens very unpleasant memories for the ANE list.

          Thomas

          Thomas L. Thompson
          Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen

[...]

        • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 18, 2012
            Dear Thomas,

            though obviously a strong word, probably too much so, I have used
            'nihilist' in print before, since, in my mind, Kolb, Hertel, Kullmann
            and so forth refuse to believe _anything_ with respect to the Troyan
            question, whether linguistic equations, geopolitical context, or
            archaeological probabilities. To give a not inconsequential example,
            Hertel persists in disallowing the relatively sturdy evidence for LBA
            trade between the Black Sea and the Agean ; /Das fr�he Ilion/ went so
            far as to suppress the crucial O. H�ckmann, 'Zu fr�her Seefahrt in den
            Meerengen', Studia Troica 13, 2003, pp. 133-160, so that he could
            maintain that Troy VII(a) = VIi was not the important, international
            emporion hypothetized by Korfmann, Latacz, Easton-Hawkins-Sherratt. Is
            this reasonable science or partisan scholarship ? Hertel also used to
            speculate that the unimpressive amount of arrowheads found to date
            disproves the claim that this level of Troy was ever taken over through
            enemy action but merely destroyed by fire, a position that found no
            followers and which he tacitly renounced in his later book. In such
            instances I like to quote the great Aristotle scholar Ingram Bywater : �
            negative criticism has its limits by transgressing which it degenerates
            into a senseless and unprofitable exercise in logic � (�On a Lost
            Dialogue of Aristotle�, Journal of Philology 2, 1869, p. 68).

            J.-F. Nardelli
            Universit� de Provence

          • Thomas Verenna
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 18, 2012
              There is a distinct difference between 'refusing to believe' and 'just not
              convinced.' It is important to make such a distinction, though trying to
              prove your claim that Kolb, Hertel, and Kullmann are just flat-out
              denialists seems to me to be a difficult task to accomplish. Frankly, I am
              not convinced by the arguments for Troy either. I find them extremely
              maximalistic, rather conservative interpretations. For example, the fact
              that Troy VIIa has larger walls than its later settlements does not ipso
              facto mean that there was an external threat they were guarding against
              (such a concept is concocted with Homer in mind) and the fact that
              Mycenaean pottery becames scant towards later layers does not therefore
              mean that the external threat was Mycenaean. But these are the typical
              arguments <http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Eprehistory/aegean/?page_id=630> I've
              read from those who suggest that there exists evidence for a historical
              Troy here. Also, around Troy IIb you see a decline in the Mycenaean
              civilization which probably accounts for some of that pottery vanishing
              from trade to the settlement. And earthquake/fire seems rather consistent
              with the destruction of VIIa and the resettlement makes a lot more sense
              from such a perspective (like with Pompeii, where an earthquake devastated
              the city, but was rebuilt and reinhabited continuously--a fact that is
              quite perplexing in my mind).

              So while I can understand your disliking their positions, I cannot
              understand the total dismissal of their opinions as 'nihilistic'. They
              aren't convinced; neither am I. Of course, I could be convinced, but so
              far I haven't seen any sound grounding for it. When Korfmann released his
              model of Troy years ago, and Kolb called him out on its exaggerations,
              Korfmann reduced the size of his model. That smells funny, if you ask me.
              It suggests, in my mind, that he was exaggerating the state of the evidence
              for his own agendas and when he was (rightly) called out on it, all of a
              sudden Kolb becomes the 'nihilist' and Korfmann the 'sensible scholar'. I
              just don't buy it. Sorry. This whole thing just reads 'red-flag'.

              Thanks,

              Thomas Verenna
              Rutgers, New Brunswick

              On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Jean-Fabrice Nardelli <
              jnardellis36@...> wrote:

              > Dear Thomas,
              >
              > though obviously a strong word, probably too much so, I have used
              > 'nihilist' in print before, since, in my mind, Kolb, Hertel, Kullmann
              > and so forth refuse to believe _anything_ with respect to the Troyan
              > question, whether linguistic equations, geopolitical context, or
              > archaeological probabilities. To give a not inconsequential example,
              > Hertel persists in disallowing the relatively sturdy evidence for LBA
              > trade between the Black Sea and the Agean ; /Das fr�he Ilion/ went so
              > far as to suppress the crucial O. H�ckmann, 'Zu fr�her Seefahrt in den
              > Meerengen', Studia Troica 13, 2003, pp. 133-160, so that he could
              > maintain that Troy VII(a) = VIi was not the important, international
              > emporion hypothetized by Korfmann, Latacz, Easton-Hawkins-Sherratt. Is
              > this reasonable science or partisan scholarship ? Hertel also used to
              > speculate that the unimpressive amount of arrowheads found to date
              > disproves the claim that this level of Troy was ever taken over through
              > enemy action but merely destroyed by fire, a position that found no
              > followers and which he tacitly renounced in his later book. In such
              > instances I like to quote the great Aristotle scholar Ingram Bywater : �
              > negative criticism has its limits by transgressing which it degenerates
              > into a senseless and unprofitable exercise in logic � (�On a Lost
              > Dialogue of Aristotle�, Journal of Philology 2, 1869, p. 68).
              >
              > J.-F. Nardelli
              > Universit� de Provence

              Cordially,

              Thomas S. Verenna

            • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 18, 2012
                Dear T. Verenna,

                the difference you point out would impress me more had Hertel not
                conveniently deleted important contributions that weaken his own case :
                this is what I call 'partisan scholarship'. Nothing more, nothing less.
                As for the remainder of your message, I am basically in agreement with
                its arguments, though you appear to be somewhat more strident than a
                layman who cites only derivative scholarship has any right to be and
                though the way you phrase things smacks of old-style skepticism à la
                Finley, a man who was ridiculed by philologists in Germany for his shaky
                grasp of the Homeric tradition and one who denied that the /Odyssey/ had
                anything to tell us about the Mediterranean : suffice it to mention here
                Carol Dougherty (/The Raft of Odysseus/ [Oxford, 2001], pp. 12-13,
                95-101) or M. Gras, P. Rouillard and J. Teixidor (/L'univers phénicien/
                [Paris, 1989], pp. 106-107) as to the contrary, viz. for the view that
                the poem takes us back to the late 8th century and the competition
                between Greek colonists and Phoenician merchants/pirats.

                Sorry if it hurts.

                J.-F. Nardelli,
                Université de Provence

              • Richard Seager
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 18, 2012
                  I tend to agree Thomas, the idea that ancient Hisarlik was able to withstand the combined efforts of the Mycenaeans and their friends for ten years is hard to believe.

                  Richard Seager
                  Australia

                • Thomas L. Thompson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 19, 2012
                    Dear Professor Nardeli,
                    I do not disagree at all with your academic judgment. Perhaps an expression like 'dismissive', but 'nihilist' demonizes and 'refuse to believe' questions their
                    integrity rather than their conclusions. Just such personal attacks in regard to disagreements about
                    the historicity of ancient figures of narrative once threatened to destroy the liist as such. Perhaps we should
                    submit our disagreement to the moderators for a judgment on whether such rhetorical
                    strategies are permissable.

                    Sincerely,
                    Thomas

                    Thomas L. Thompson
                    Professor emeritus, University of Copenhagen

                    Dear Thomas,

                    though obviously a strong word, probably too much so, I have used
                    'nihilist' in print before, since, in my mind, Kolb, Hertel, Kullmann
                    and so forth refuse to believe _anything_ with respect to the Troyan
                    question, whether linguistic equations, geopolitical context, or
                    archaeological probabilities. To give a not inconsequential example,
                    Hertel persists in disallowing the relatively sturdy evidence for LBA
                    trade between the Black Sea and the Agean ; /Das frühe Ilion/ went so
                    far as to suppress the crucial O. Höckmann, 'Zu früher Seefahrt in den

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 22, 2012
                      Good morning,

                      Thanks for your note. There is no need to get defensive, I am again just
                      asking questions to get a better understanding of how one draws historical
                      conclusions from cultural memory. It makes little sense to me to claim
                      that someone has ignored or neglected evidence when only 1/5 of a site has
                      been excavated. I am not giving anyone a free pass here--if Hertel has
                      purposefully left out evidence of something, then by all means provide us
                      evidence of such a misstep. So far I have seen you make a lot of personal
                      claims about motive, but I haven't seen it demonstrated--which concerns me
                      greatly (even though I am only an amateur, so I imagine this may concern
                      the more learned amongst us even more than it bothers me).

                      Thanks for responding.

                      Thomas Verenna
                      Rutgers, New Brunswick

                      On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Jean-Fabrice Nardelli <
                      jnardellis36@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Dear T. Verenna,
                      >
                      > the difference you point out would impress me more had Hertel not
                      > conveniently deleted important contributions that weaken his own case :
                      > this is what I call 'partisan scholarship'. Nothing more, nothing less.
                      > As for the remainder of your message, I am basically in agreement with
                      > its arguments, though you appear to be somewhat more strident than a
                      > layman who cites only derivative scholarship has any right to be and
                      > though the way you phrase things smacks of old-style skepticism � la
                      > Finley, a man who was ridiculed by philologists in Germany for his shaky
                      > grasp of the Homeric tradition and one who denied that the /Odyssey/ had
                      > anything to tell us about the Mediterranean : suffice it to mention here
                      > Carol Dougherty (/The Raft of Odysseus/ [Oxford, 2001], pp. 12-13,
                      > 95-101) or M. Gras, P. Rouillard and J. Teixidor (/L'univers ph�nicien/
                      > [Paris, 1989], pp. 106-107) as to the contrary, viz. for the view that
                      > the poem takes us back to the late 8th century and the competition
                      > between Greek colonists and Phoenician merchants/pirats.
                      >
                      > Sorry if it hurts.
                      >
                      > J.-F. Nardelli,
                      >
                      > Universit� de Provence

                      Cordially,

                      Thomas S. Verenna

                    • Trudy Kawami
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 22, 2012
                        One of the (usually) unspoken problems with classical text like the Iliad is the lack of any versions at all near the time it was supposedly composed or written down or edited or… In other words using a text whose oldest copy is centuries & centuries after the time it purportedly describes to date an archaeological site that is even older is very, very difficult, to say the least.

                        In the ANE we can trace a fair amount of how the Gilgamesh stories went from the historical kernel of a king/strongman/local hero of Uruk to an epic of man’s search for immortality to Star Trek. It would be a bit naïve to assume that this natural creative mutability did not apply to the stories focused around the city states during the turbulent times at the turn of the millennium (broadly considered).

                        Trudy S. Kawami

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 22, 2012
                          Sorry Trudy,

                          there are problems also with primary sources even if they are not outspoken.

                          It is generally a bit naïve to disengage from solving problems because they exist. Most of us are working simply because problems exist.

                          Michael Banyai

                          Oberursel

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 22, 2012
                            This is quite profound. The question is not whether we can trace the Iliad
                            back to the historical kernel. That, I believe, starts with a
                            presupposition (i.e., that we have knowledge of such a kernel--which we do
                            not, by the way, have; we may never have it). Instead you have to go where
                            the evidence goes. I do not believe we can say, for example, that the
                            flood story of Deucalion and Pyrrha is rooted in history. Like the other
                            flood narratives we see, they carry with them an edifying narrative that
                            was most likely more important to the ancient cultures who took from them
                            and fabricated from them whole new narratives that reflected their own
                            cultural situations. It is unlikely, for example, that the flood of Noah
                            is history (it doesn't flood in Palestine) but it is equally unlikely that
                            such a story would have any use to a culture of that region for the same
                            reason we might say it didn't originate there. So there are other reasons
                            why such a story is useful, and the flood is just an example of such a
                            reason (in this case, god's divine judgement upon his creation, granting a
                            second chance to his chosen people--those who follow the straight path,
                            i.e., the Israelites according to the Biblical narratives). I believe the
                            same is true of the Iliad. With literature, where certain tropes and
                            motifs come from may have been from a mixture of ancient events--some from
                            as far away as Mesopotamia and others more locally rooted. One may find
                            some day that the origins of the Trojan war best reflect the real
                            historical wars that took place locally between competing poleis rather
                            than something that happened across the Aegean. But that is the crux of it
                            all, isn't it? And that is why I remain skeptical about the claims made
                            about this settlement in Hisarlik.

                            Thanks,

                            Thomas Verenna
                            Rutgers, New Brunswick

                            On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Trudy Kawami <tkawami@...

                            Cordially,

                            Thomas S. Verenna

                          • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 22, 2012
                              Trudy,

                              what about the process of textual canonization of the main lines of
                              the /Iliad/ (both at the microcultural and macrostructural levels :
                              number and succession of the episodes as well as conventions of
                              storytelling, adherence to one main plot and shaping of the characters
                              as well of the finer points of epic diction and dialect) that begun at a
                              time preceding our earliest Iliadic testimonies ? The number of the
                              lines may have varied somewhat with a few accretions before the time of
                              the Alexandrine editors, but no wholesale books of the Iliad ever crept
                              in nor were there ever transpositions of episodes or entire books,
                              unlike what happens in the textual tradition of the Mahâbhârata (even if
                              you take into account the Doloneia). See M. W. Haslam, in a synthesis
                              which remains the best survey of the Textüberlieferung to date ('Homeric
                              Papyri and the Transmission of the Text', in I. Morris and B. Powell
                              (edd.), A New Companion to Homer [Leiden, New York & Cologne, 1997], pp.
                              55-100) at 79-84 ; such 'crystallization', or 'linguistic arrest',
                              cannot be put later than 560 B.C. when the Athenians used Iliad 2.
                              257-258 as evidence against the Megarians, see A. C. Cassio, 'Early
                              Editions of the Greek Epics and Homeric Textual Criticism in the Sixth
                              and FIfth Centuries BC', in F. Montanari and P. Ascheri (edd.), Omero
                              tremila anni dopo. Atti del Congresso di Genova, 6-8 luglio 2000 (Rome,
                              2002), pp. 105-136 at 114-119, and is likely to be considerably older,
                              especially if one puts credance in the demonstrations that the Iliad and
                              Odyssy are orally-derived compositions (L. E. Rossi, 'I poemi omerici
                              como testimonianza di poesia orale', in R. Bianchi Bandinelli (ed.),
                              Storia e Civiltà dei Greci, I. 1 [Milano, 1978], pp. 73-147 ; R. Janko,
                              'The Homeric Poems as Oral Dictated Texts', Classical Quarterly 48,
                              1998, pp. 1-13 ; etc). As for "using a text whose oldest copy is
                              centuries & centuries after the time it purportedly describe", may I
                              remind the list that while the oldest complete copies of the Iliad are
                              two mid-tenth century AD manuscripts, the Laurentianus D and the Venetus
                              A, some seventeen or eighteen centuries later than Homer, we own over
                              1500 papyri of the poem, the oldest of which approach the third century
                              BC ? I trust that Bible scholars would be happy to have even a tiny
                              fraction of such harvest instead of relying on the Septuagint, the
                              Targumim, etc, to supply the Leningrad codex. See further my papers
                              'Editer l'Iliade" : "I La transmission et ses débats : Perspectives
                              critiques", /Gaia. Revue interdisciplinaire sur la Grèce archaïque /5,
                              2001, pp.41-118 ; 'II Manuscrits et affiliations manuscrites dans
                              l'Iliade XIII-XV', ibid. 6, 2002, pp. 47-144 (stemma p. 130).

                              J.-F. Nardelli
                              Université de Provence

                              Le 22/10/2012 21:08, Trudy Kawami a écrit :

                              > One of the (usually) unspoken problems with classical text like the
                              > Iliad is the lack of any versions at all near the time it was
                              > supposedly composed or written down or edited or… In other words using
                              > a text whose oldest copy is centuries & centuries after the time it
                              > purportedly describes to date an archaeological site that is even
                              > older is very, very difficult, to say the least.
                              >
                              > In the ANE we can trace a fair amount of how the Gilgamesh stories
                              > went from the historical kernel of a king/strongman/local hero of Uruk
                              > to an epic of man’s search for immortality to Star Trek. It would be a
                              > bit naïve to assume that this natural creative mutability did not
                              > apply to the stories focused around the city states during the
                              > turbulent times at the turn of the millennium (broadly considered).
                              >
                              > Trudy S. Kawami

                            • Graham Hagens
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 24, 2012

                                "....what about the process of textual canonization ....succession of the episodes as well as conventions of
                                storytelling, adherence to one main plot and shaping of the characters
                                as well of the finer points of epic diction and dialect  that begun at a
                                time preceding our earliest Iliadic testimonies ? The number of the
                                lines may have varied somewhat with a few accretions before the time of
                                the Alexandrine editors, but no wholesale books of the Iliad ever crept
                                in nor were there ever transpositions of episodes or entire books,
                                unlike what happens in the textual tradition of the Mahâbhârata ...... 'crystallization', or 'linguistic arrest',
                                cannot be put later than 560 B.C. when the Athenians used Iliad 2.
                                257-258 as evidence against the Megarians,....and is likely to be considerably older,
                                especially if one puts credance in the demonstrations that the Iliad and
                                Odyssy are orally-derived compositions ....As for "using a text whose oldest copy is
                                centuries & centuries after the time it purportedly describe", .... own over
                                1500 papyri of the poem, the oldest of which approach the third century"

                                While this reply is interesting, surely it does no more than reduce Trudy's "centuries & centuries" to just "centuries"
                                A   ~560 BC testimony of   utilization of  text from the Iliad, says nothing about the state of textual canonisation at that time
                                Snodgrass (Archaic Greece 1980: 72) wrote of the "great web of unsystematic oral mythology which existed throughout Greek history without being enshrined in verse form," and of the evidence that mythical scenes during the Archaic period  departed from the ‘official version’ of  the epic.   Also (Dark Age Greece  2001: 429, 431), with respect to diffusion of epic and the Homeric poems.  "in Ionia it is certain that an unbroken tradition ran from the time of the Ionian migration down to Homer" and that "before the Homeric poems can have been diffused we should infer that there was first an era of general interest and pride in the heroic age"

                                > One of the (usually) unspoken problems with classical text like the
                                > Iliad is the lack of any versions at all near the time it was
                                > supposedly composed or written down or edited or… In other words using
                                > a text whose oldest copy is centuries & centuries after the time it
                                > purportedly describes to date an archaeological site that is even
                                > older is very, very difficult, to say the least.
                                >
                                > In the ANE we can trace a fair amount of how the Gilgamesh stories
                                > went from the historical kernel of a king/strongman/local hero of Uruk
                                > to an epic of man’s search for immortality to Star Trek. It would be a
                                > bit naïve to assume that this natural creative mutability did not
                                > apply to the stories focused around the city states during the
                                > turbulent times at the turn of the millennium (broadly considered).
                                >
                                > Trudy S. Kawami

                                 Isn't  this ~half millennium of undocumented activity more to Trudy's point?

                                Graham Hagens
                                Hamilton, ON

                              • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 24, 2012
                                  Graham,

                                  you do not understand what the Athenian use of these two Iliadic
                                  lines from the Catalogue of the Ships (sorry for the wrong reference ;
                                  my only excuse was the very late hour in Frence) demonstrates as to the
                                  textual canonization of the poem. Aristotle, Rhetoric, I, 1375 b 28-30
                                  (p. 69 Kassel [1976]) tells us that "by ancient witnesses I mean the
                                  poets and all famous figures whose decisions [KRISEIS] are notorious,
                                  like the Athenians who invoked Homer as witness with respect to Salamis"
                                  in 560 BC, which is confirmed by Plutarch (Life of Solon, 10) and
                                  Diogenes Laertius (I, 48), both of whom declare that the Attic
                                  leader-poet Solon cited Iliad 2. 557 with verse 558 of his own invention
                                  to bolster the claims of Athens on the great island against the rival
                                  ones of the Megarians. Though that story has been shown to lack
                                  credibility, the spuriousness of 558 was unquestioned in later times and
                                  is nearly universally admitted by modern scholars (contra, R. Hope
                                  Simpson and J. F. Lazenby, The Catalogue of Ships in Homer's Iliad
                                  [Oxford, 1970], pp. 59-61, see E. Visser, Homers Katalog der Schiffe
                                  [Stuttgart & Leipzig, 1997], pp. 449-452, who concludes that "fasst man
                                  alle Gesichtpunkte zusammen, so spricht doch mehr dafür, in B 558 einen
                                  Vers zu sehen, der nicht vom Iliasdichter stammt" ; the same Visser
                                  wrote the commentary on the Catalogue in Latacz's Basler
                                  Gesamtkommentar, vol. II [Munich & Leipzig, 2003], here at pp. 179-180,
                                  which replaces the badly defective G. S. Kirk, The Iliad. A Commentary,
                                  I [Cambridge, 1985], pp. 208-209). The line was omitted by Aristarchus
                                  in his epoch-making editions, in all probability because he only found
                                  it in a few of his chosen manuscripts (a point demonstrated beyond
                                  reasonable doubt by M. J. Apthorp, The Manuscript Evidence for
                                  Interpolation in Homer [Heidelberg, 1980], pp. 165-177 [text], 188-194
                                  [notes]), and it re-entered the textual tradition later on an unsecure
                                  footing (as it is omitted by six papyri and roughly one half of the
                                  best-known mediaeval manuscripts ; an instructive tale is told by the
                                  comparison of the apparatuses of G. M. Bolling's Ilias Atheniensium
                                  [Lancaster, 1950] , p. 39, and West's Teubner eddition, I [1998], p.
                                  71). The problem is highly complex and cannot be sketched in a few
                                  sentences - see Apthorp for a complete, if heavy-going, unravelling of
                                  it -, but, unless the interpolation was well-known by Solon's time, viz.
                                  textually fixed orally and in some exemplars of the poem, it is
                                  inconveivable that the Athenians could ever have invoked it and the
                                  judges of the quarrel with the Megarians accepted it. Homeric scholars
                                  were thus lead to posit an updating of the geographic-mythical map of
                                  heroic Greece as preserved by the Catalogue and some interpolations in
                                  Hesiod with a view to the interests of Athens and other regional powers
                                  of the middle of the 6th century (M. Finkelberg, 'Ajax's Entry in the
                                  Hesiodic Catalogue of Women', Classical Quarterly 38, 1988, pp. 31-41 at
                                  35-38) - if this is not an airtight sign of canonized textualization,
                                  then what can it be ?

                                  I can only hope that, tonight, I suceeded in making my point
                                  crystal-clear.
                                  Yours,
                                  J.-F. Nardelli
                                  Université de Provence
                                • Jean-Fabrice Nardelli
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 25, 2012
                                    As my last words on the topic, unless the debate bounces back with new
                                    arguments going beyond mere generalities, I would like to commend the
                                    view that the text of the Homeric epics was submitted to a gradual
                                    process of textualization from the archaic period until the the middle
                                    of the sixth century, not my own creed, for I am rather convinced that
                                    we have in all essentials a ca. 750 BC Iliad, not the poem of some
                                    anonymous sixth century oral singers / arrangers (reasons in S. T.
                                    Teodorsson, 'Eastern Literacy, Greek Alphabet, and Homer', Mnemosyne
                                    LIX, 2006, pp. 161-187, and my Motif de la paire d'amis héroïque à
                                    prolongements homophiles. Perspectives odysséennes et proches-orientales
                                    [Amsterdam, 2004], pp. 170-180), yet a model that I find impossible to
                                    confine to silence (an interesting account of that progressive
                                    textualization can be found in L. E. Rossi, 'Dividing Homer. When and
                                    How Were the Iliad and the Odyssey Divided into Songs ? (Continued)',
                                    Symbolae Osloenses 76, 2001, pp. 103-112). Of course, the implications
                                    of the oral-traditional mechanisms on the textual criticism of the poem
                                    are far from assessed, witness, e.g., N. Kelly, A Referential Commentary
                                    and Lexicon to Homer, Iliad VIII (Oxford, 2007), pp. 378-384, who "is
                                    concerned to find out whether the feature under discussion is the kind
                                    of thing a traditionally trained poet would have produced" (p. 385),
                                    beyond the conspicuous fact that "von Anfang an hatten die Rhapsoden
                                    zweifellos dazu tendiert, den Text euphonischer und geschmeidiger zu
                                    machen, indem sie logisch überflüssige Partikeln zufügten, um Hiat oder
                                    andere metrische Anomalien auszuschalten (die häufig als Ergebnis des
                                    Digamma-Verlusts entstanden waren), und indem sie ungewöhnliche
                                    archaische Formen durch modernere ersetzten. Das war ohne Zweifel ein
                                    Grundzug der mündlichen Tradition schon lange bevor die Ilias geschaffen
                                    wurde" (West, in the Basler Gesamtkommentar, Prolegomena [Munich &
                                    Leipzig, 2003 ; 3rd ed., Berlin & New York, 2009], p. 31). The genious
                                    of the poet should not be downgraded or lost sight of in the
                                    appreciation of this process, if only because Homer may very well have
                                    brought out crucial modifications to the meter and dialect he inherited
                                    (N. Berg and D. Haug, 'Dividing Homer (continued). Innovation vs.
                                    Tradition in Homer - An Overlooked Piece of Evidence', Symbolae
                                    Osloenses 75, 2000, pp. 5-23, cf. p. 21 : "it is hard to see how a
                                    metrical change like the introduction of the equivalence between one
                                    long and two short syllables in thesi can have evolved gradually. For
                                    reasons shown above, these changes cannot have happened during the
                                    Aeolic phase and we see no way that they can be connected with an Ionian
                                    tradition which is but poorly supported by facts and contradicted by
                                    analyses of the epic diction like that of Hoekstra. That is why we would
                                    like to ascribe them to the monumental composer himself, or in Latacz’s
                                    words 1989, 26) : the “Begründer der abendländischen Textualität”) ; now
                                    the very existence of an Aeolic slice of the Greek dialectal continuum
                                    has been demolished by H. N. Parker, 'The Linguistic Case for the
                                    Aiolian Migration Reconsidered', Hesperia 77, 2008, pp. 431-464 at
                                    443-459, cf. 460 "the idea of an Aiolic dialect group itself falls
                                    apart. Boiotian is an archaic dialect, most closely related to West
                                    Greek, which underwent the First Compensatory Lengthening but retained
                                    *r° (with later independent change of *r° > ρο) and the labiovelars
                                    (with the default change to labials), and which underwent various later
                                    minor changes of its own. Lesbian and Thessalian are both archaic
                                    branches of Greek that did not undergo the First Compensatory
                                    Lengthening. They share no demonstrable common innovations, and nothing
                                    argues for a relationship between them. They are best viewed as two
                                    relic areas of a relatively unaltered early Greek" (I shall only declare
                                    here that I, like most Homerists with enough philological and linguistic
                                    expertise, remain unconvinced ; it has been trendy, for the past five
                                    decades, to minimize, or even rule out, the impact of Aeolic on both
                                    Homer and the dialectal map of Greece, with disastrous consequences ;
                                    cf. rather Finkelberg, 'The Dialect Continuum of Ancient Greek', Harvard
                                    Studies in Classical Philology 96, 1994,, pp. 1-36). Nor should the
                                    relevant technicalities in Homeric textual poetics and narratology, of
                                    which list members hardly suspect the level of intricacy and
                                    sophistication - sometimes oppressive, if not counterproductive : see
                                    further my Aristarchus Antibarbarus, pp. LXI-LXII note ************ - be
                                    ignored by all those who invoke Homer or the Iliad around Troy, lest
                                    what they say be heavily naive ; see C. Tsagalis, 'Towards an Oral,
                                    Intertextual Neoanalysis', Trends in Classics 3, 2011, pp. 209-244 at
                                    211-228, paper of which I must remark : es ist auf einem
                                    Spekulationsgebäude erbaut, ein neues schönes Beispiel dafür, wie
                                    produktiv unsere Irrtümer und fixen Ideen sein können.

                                    J.-F. Nardelli
                                    Université de Provence