New Exhibit: Between Heaven and Earth: Birds in Ancient Egypt

  • fdscalf
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2012
      New exhibit

      Between Heaven and Earth: Birds in Ancient Egypt

      October 16, 2012-July 28, 2013

      This first American exhibit on birds in ancient Egypt explores how birds were incorporated into all aspects of life, religion, and the state. Objects include statues of falcon-headed gods, bird coffins, and objects of daily life decorated with avian motifs. Bird mummies, presented with the newest forensic research, demonstrate their importance in religious cults. Catalog available.

      Oriental Institute Museum, Chicago

      Exhibit webpage:
      http://oi.uchicago.edu/museum/special/birds/

      Two articles about the upcoming exhibit:
      http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/nn/sum12_bird214.html
      http://oi.uchicago.edu/research/pubs/nn/sum12_birdMummy214.html

      (Posted by Foy Scalf, scalffd@..., Oriental Institute)
    • Douglas Petrovich
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2012
        Dear List,

        If I can add my own comment to this plug, my friend Rozenn Bailleul-LeSuer is one of the principal contributors to the exhibit, and she has been working on the exhibit tirelessly for months.

        For those who will be visiting Chicago for the upcoming ASOR conference, this presents a great opportunity to see the exhibit at the OIM. Rozenn’s love for birds is infectious, and my guess is that you will walk away a lover of birds if you visit.

        Doug Petrovich
        University of Toronto

      • fdscalf
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2012
          Thanks, Doug.

          There was also a live online discussion via Google+ with Rozenn Bailleul-LeSuer and Chad Haney over the weekend. The video is now posted on Youtube with some previews of a few pieces from the exhibit and exhibit catalog.

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F2LSs75Jkik

          Foy Scalf
          scalffd@...
          Oriental Institute