Nude Goddess Bread Mould

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2012
      Greetings, All,

      I am desperately trying to remember where a bread mould with the
      image of a Nude Goddess/Female was discovered in Syria. Is anyone
      familiar with this object, and could that person provide a site name,
      please?

      Very many thanks in advance,
      Stephanie Budin
      Rutgers University, Camden

      "If you spend your whole time thinking about the universe, you tend to forget
      the less important parts of it. Like your pants. And ninety-nine out of a
      hundred ideas they come up with are totally useless." "Why doesn’t
      anyone lock
      them away safely, then? They don’t sound like much use to me," said Brutha.
      "Because the hundredth idea," said Om, "is generally a humdinger."
      - Sir Terry Pratchett
    • Ronald Wallenfels
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2012
        Dear Stephanie,

        There is mold from Mari showing a seated frontal nude female holding her
        breasts originally published by Parrot, /Syria /18 (1973) 77, fig. 13
        (it's also published in /Ebla to Damascus/, no. 97.

        Yours,

        Ron Wallenfels, Ph.D.
        Fair Haven, NJ

        On 9/24/2012 12:29 PM, sbudin@... wrote:

        > Greetings, All,
        >
        > I am desperately trying to remember where a bread mould with the
        > image of a Nude Goddess/Female was discovered in Syria. Is anyone
        > familiar with this object, and could that person provide a site name,
        > please?
        >
        > Very many thanks in advance,
        > Stephanie Budin
        > Rutgers University, Camden
        >
        > "If you spend your whole time thinking about the universe, you tend to
        > forget
        > the less important parts of it. Like your pants. And ninety-nine out of a
        > hundred ideas they come up with are totally useless." "Why doesn't
        > anyone lock
        > them away safely, then? They don't sound like much use to me," said
        > Brutha.
        > "Because the hundredth idea," said Om, "is generally a humdinger."
        > - Sir Terry Pratchett

      • Brian Colless
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2012
          The one I used to show to students was a standing figure, and I think
          I got it from an issue of THE BIBLICAL ARCHAEOLOGIST, when it was a
          little magazine produced by Albright and Wright.

          It was meant to illustrate Yirmyahu's "baking cakes for the queen of
          heaven" (Jer 7.18, 44.19)

          Brian Colless
          Massey University, NZ

        • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2012
            Dear ANEers,

            Many, many thanks to everyone who replied on- and off-list! The
            answer is Mari, published by A. Parrot in "Syria" in 1937. I now have
            the article and the image.

            With very best regards,
            Stephanie Budin