Re: [ANE-2] Re: Zoroastrian triads?

  • Judith Lerner
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2012
      I'm not sure exactly how early the triad of Mithra, Rashnu and Sraosha can be traced--mentions of the triad as judges of the deceased's soul appear in the later (9th century CE) Pahlavi literature. For starters, see refs in Wm. A. Malandra, An Introduction to Ancient Iranian Religion (1983); also see Edw. W. West, trans. Pahlavi Texts, Part IV, Contents of the Nasks - Dinkard, Books 8 and 9 (The Sacred Books of the East 37. Oxford, 1892).

      Visually, the earliest evidence for Rashnu is on a Sogdian ossuary of the 7th c CE, a fragment from the Samarkand area (Afrasiab), that shows the soul's judgment at the Cinvat Bridge: Rashn sits with his scales for weighing the plusses and minuses of the individual, and Sraosh approaches him, leading the soul to the place of judgment. With one hand Sraosh presents an incense-burner to Rashn as testimony of the soul's piety, and with the other seems to hold the soul's hand; this portion is missing from the fragment. See Frantz Grenet, "L'art zoroastrien en Sogdiane," Mesopotamia 21 (1986):101-104, fig. 35. G. A. Pugachenkova, "The Form and Style of Sogdian Ossuaries," Bulletin of the Asia Institute NS 8 (1996): 239, fig. 12.

      You might try posting on Iran-L, Sogdian-L and Sasan-L, all via Yahoo.

      Cheers,

      Judith Lerner, PhD
      Research Associate
      Institute for the Study of the Ancient World (NYU)
      15 East 84 Street
      New York, NY 10028